Wednesday, August 20, 2008

You're Invited... to a Pity Party

I'm not sure how long I'll leave this up here. But this is my blog, and it's a recording of my life, and maybe someday I'll want to look back on this day and say "wow... look how far I've come."

I SUCK a money management. Partly because I don't have enough to manage. But I could do better about being pro-active with people I owe money. I tend to be a bit of an ostrich... bury my head in the sand and it'll all go away. Right?

Well... a great big tiger just came and tried to bite the ass off the ostrich.

I got a phone call from a guy who's been hired to reposses my car.

Yeah... I haven't paid my car payment for a few months. Car... roof over head... car... gas to get to work... I TOTALLY should have called my bank and told them what was up. I am COMPLETELY in the wrong here.

Now, by some LARGE miracle, I checked my bank account last night, and there was much more money than I expected in there. Which was good because I have a bunch of bills that need paying. Well.. not anymore because I just got off the phone with the bank and they took all but about $20 of it. And provided the guy makes the right phone call, I get to keep my car.

Yeah... so... I suck... I'm a poser. How's that for raw?

25 comments:

Kori said...

Awww Lizzie we all make mistakes. And we all do what we need to do to get by. I have several bills that have been a month or so past due. I had to call and make arrangements for my power not to get cut off last month.

Richard's meds, gas for work, food to eat, lunchmoney for boys play a big part.

Thankfully we are finally caught up. I will be praying for you and I'm sure everything will work out.

Alison said...

Oh Lizzy...I'm so sorry you're having money problems. I'm glad you were able to keep the car though--I do think it must have been a miracle, because I have never had more money than I thought I did.

Sending you good thoughts and prayers.

Nik said...

Oh gosh - I'm so sorry to hear things are stretched so thin ;/

At least you got the repo guy headed in the right direction.

(((()))))

Lula! said...

You do not suck. You are not a poser. And I appreciate raw...it equals real.

A big hug from me...virtual, of course, but still a back-breaker.

Susie said...

Everybody hits rough spots in their checkbook now and again. I guess that makes you Human Hot Tub Lizzy:-)

Deanna said...

How about real? How about honest? And Susie is right... Human!! Don't get down on yourself. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE you!

sassy stephanie said...

I agree with Lula. Raw is real. You are human and a single mom. That is hard. Cut yourself some slack and try to pick up the pieces. It will all be fine. Maybe Jesus can get some modeling work. He is pretty cute.

Anonymous said...

Oh HTL....hopefully it all works out for you. I know my money is soooooo tight these days I can barely squeak out enough to pay bills. In fact, I'm shuffling them all right now.....so thats not good either.

Unknown said...

Wow, you really let it all hang out here. And you know what? You can only go up. So just look at it as a small bump in the road dust yourself off and pick up a money management book. Personally I like Suzy Orman.

Dawn said...

Awww i'm sorry you are dealing with that. I have been in your shoes and it is so stressful to deal with. I will keep you in my prayers and I know that things will work out. Maybe Mr. B could help? I used to never ask for help, but sometimes people want to help you but don't know you need it. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Honestly I'm not the best money manager either. Something I need to work on.

Simply AnonyMom said...

We have all been there, and if someone says they haven't they are lying. I am so sorry. I wish I could help. All I have to give though is a huge cyber {{HUG}} Please take it and know you are a good person.

Angie's Spot said...

Hey, don't beat yourself up. We all make mistakes and I know more than a few of us have probably been right where you are...and lived to tell about it.

I don't have any sage advice, but know that we're all here to support you with big hugs and shoulders to cry on. (((HUGS)))

Indiana Angel said...

Oh, Beth :( Please don't be ashamed. I honestly have no idea how single moms do it. With everything on your plate and trying to do it with not enough money..... You've done your best and you've worked out a solution the best way you could. Lesson learned, if a next time hits you'll know to try to contact creditors first, but you're doing everything you possibly can. I honestly wish there were something I could do, even if it were just to give you a laugh to ease your mind for a moment. ((((HUGS))))

Lori said...

If being behind on your car payment is the worst thing you ever do, honey, you're one up on me. :)

WheresMyAngels said...

We have had our share of money issues but my worst one was not letting them take my car. We went bankrupted over a year ago but I choose to keep my van, which was Stupid! I had to get a different loan which is ending up costing me alot more. All in all I will be paying over 35,000 for a 20,000 vehicle that breaks down all the time.

Hope things get better for you.

I also wanted to thank you for the comment on my Educate Yourself post. If you ever want to move by me and babysit my girls, I'll let you have my van. lol

Anonymous said...

Awww Sweetie...don't beat yourself up over this! Money has affected each and everyone of us at some point in our lives...none of us are perfect, we do the best we can with what we have! CHIN UP!!

Anonymous said...

OH Lizzie!! Big...big hugs!!! Don't beat yourself up, you are only human!!!

Kathi Roach said...

Everyone has had money problems at some point in their lives....I think there are very few people who haven't been there before.

I used to work in lending for a bank in my former life (before I had kids) and just so you know, lots of times if people would keep in touch with us when they were having problems and let us know their story we were able to be more lenient with them. This goes for mortgages and credit card debt too. Sometimes the debt can even be restructured so that your payments are less $ over a longer period of time.

What a miracle for you to have the $ in your account! Stay strong.

Tam said...

Life Happens and IT will all work out...maybe not easily but some how it will be A OK!!!! I feel you though!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So sorry you're going through this. My ex just got his van (joint account)repo'ed, so my less-than-perfect credit is more less-than-perfect now. It just happens, and you truly are doing the best that you can. I'm doing the whole juggling act right now after having about 1/4 of my usual income and now I'm trying to play catch up! It's so not fun!

Lesley said...

Awwwwwww Lizzy, I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with that. I've been there too, and the fear that you feel is almost paralyzing. Hang in there girl, you can only do what you can do. Thank God you had more money in the bank than you thought.
I'll keep you and the girls in my prayers :-)

Sydney said...

I'm not so hot at money management. This occassionally gets me into trouble with the Hubs. But I'm damn good at balancing a check book. We merged our checking accounts after The Boy was born three years ago and the Hubs decided he would take that over. Knock yourself out, I said! I hate math. Damned check book hasn't been balanced since.

Now we HAVE to work on budgeting better, because we need to get a new car. Fun.

I hope things take a turn for the better financially!

Melisa S. said...

I use to suck at money management, then I met my husband who rocks at it and I decided it was time to get better! And I have, but trust me I made a LOT of mistakes and am still paying through the nose for some of them. We all make money mistakes, mostly because there never seems to be enough to go around. But take this as a lesson to learn and move on from it!

Debbie said...

You don't "suck."
And thanks for sharing all that is you. You are my hero, Ms. Lizzy.