Now... the reason I REALLY wanted to blog about Minnesota is that I wanted to pay homage to one of the greatest sports ever played. No, not football (that's a sore subject with most Minnesotans)... No, not Baseball (all I can say is 87 and 91 - those from MN will know what I mean) No, it's not curling though that's one WICKEDLY COOL (get it... cool) sport.
No... today we are talking about the grand-daddy of the playground games. The BIG one. The MOST popular game EVER.
Duck. Duck............. GRAY DUCK!!!!
Okay... 99.9 percent of you are saying "Wah???" right now, aren't you?
In Minnesota - and ONLY in Minnesota, we grow up playing Duck Duck Gray Duck... while the rest of the world plays Duck Duck Goose. I tried to do some research today as to why that is, and let me tell you babies, this one is a mystery. (Minnesotans like to be mysterious - how else do you explain electing this for Governor:)

(And in a more mysterious mystery, apparently also in Minnesota we play Captain May I while the rest of the modern world plays Mother May I - we are more politically correct)
I digress.
We play duck duck gray duck. Now, let me outline the 2 greatest merits of duck duck gray duck over duck duck goose.
1. The Insult Factor - As you go around the circle, rather than lightly tapping each rosy cheeked child (because most likely it's -13 degrees out) on the red, you pull back their head, stare at them for a moment, and then say something like "big-tooth duck" or "freckle duck" or "snotty nose duck". Now, when I was the master of this game it was the 70's and we were allowed to freely insult our classmates. My guess is that this is no longer allowed. Which is too bad. Duck Duck Gray Duck really gave one a tough skin....
2. The Surprise Factor - Even more beautiful than the Insult Factor is the Surprise Factor. You go around the circle, thinking up words that start with "Grrrr" and then you go to the next child, tap them on the head and say "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrravy Duck!" HA HA - you evil trickster! They were almost up and on the run!!! Then... "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreen Duck!" HA HA - gottem again! "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreasy Duck!" You are KING!!!! You have lulled into a false sense of security, so when you tap the next kid on the head and say "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrray Duck!" you are half way around the circle by the time they realize what you've done.
Do you SEEEE the life lessons here.
So.... there's my small slice of Minnesota for you.
DUCK
DUCK

GRAY DUCK!!!!!!!

17 comments:
Exactly, exactly how the game is played!! My favorite part is the pulling back of the head in search of the perfect descriptor. Good stuff!
That is so funny!!!! I know what a sweet little game duck duck goose is here, and to imagine it being played your way is hysterical! You need to do some more research and figure out what started that slightly more aggressive game!! I hope you have a good day!
I love your stories from your childhood! I can remember so many details from mine, but I'm always afraid they will be too boring to write about. You have such a fun way about you, I'm never bored at your place (blog).
Tell us some more. When are you going to answer our questions? Huh? Huh?
That gray duck picture is frightening. How has the rest of the world not caught up with this craze? I just don't understand.
Oh what a naughty child you must have been.
Ok kidding. Great little peice of Minnesota post you got there lizzie.
Hahahaha good one woman! I've played the game a lot! And the next greatest MN childhood game: KICK THE CAN!!!!
Those were the days when we could stay outside until 9pm and were able to hear your mother call your name from blocks away to come home.....Those were the DAYS!!!
- Jennifer
Oh my gosh!!! That is soooo funny!
I grew up in the 70's too....don't ya just love how politically incorrect we were back then???? I'm sure they don't play the game like that today.
Thanks for sharing!
This is new to me...and FUN! We must play it together some day. You'll win, but I'll laugh my boo-tay off and that's worth the price of admission alone.
That does sound kinda mean....of course I would do it so I could pull on the back of someone's head....good way to let go of some aggression.....
I like how you always bring everything back around to a duck somehow.
We did the "insult factor" but I've never heard of grey duck. Hmmm. I could start it around here. Maybe it will catch on and be all the rage.
Now I've heard of Gray Goose but never Gray Duck...hehe
Ha! That's too funny :) It makes me want to see it in action.
Too funny! I've never heard of it played like that.
As for your Guvnah - I think he should've thought about dressing like that everyday!
love it-I think that we should all change our ways and play it your way!
Much funner to make fun of people that it is to just tap them on the head.
I figure if I have to touch their hair-then I should be able to make fun of them while I am doing it! Only fair-right?
That is so funny! I think I would have had a heart attach seeing that played.
Well, I learned something new today! Very interesting game you Minnesotans have there. And that gray rubber ducky pic was just a little frightening. Or maybe it's just late and I need a cocktail? Yeah, probably the latter.
LOVE IT!
Post a Comment