This is my Grandparent's Island on Lake of the Woods in Canada. My grandmother bought it while my grandpa was serving in WWII. Without consulting with him (so next time your hubby gets annoyed with you for buying something without telling him, tell him "Well at least I didn't buy an Island")
I spent all of my growing up summers there. Playing and swimming with my cousins. Learning to fish, looking forward to "town" days when we would all pile in the boat and head to town to get groceries. There were trips to the donut shop, trips to the ice cream store, walks to the chips cart... racing around the docks with my cousins... the smell of the laundry mats... the smell of brown paper bags... the smell of gasoline... the feel of the wind in your hair as grandpa picked up speed on the way home.... passing Devil's Rock... seeing the rainbow in the water spray of the wake... Grandma standing on the porch waving and welcoming us home...
In the house were the treasures of my Grandparents travels... England... France... Spain... Egypt... the horn we honked to tell everyone it was time to eat... the cribbage board that grandpa & grandpa played with long after her mind had forgotten how to do everything else... the silly camel footstool... the cigar boxes... the huge fireplace where we warmed ourselves on chilly evenings and toasted marshmallows... the cozy kitchen with the wood burning stove and the smell of grandpa's buckwheat pancakes... the pantry with the jar of empress strawberry jam that I would kill for right now... the back porch with the table that always had ripe fruit waiting....
The flagpole outside where I learned how to care for a flag... the red bench swing... the tree swing.. the jeep path... the beach... the woods...
I adore those memories.
I'm inspired by memories.

22 comments:
what wonderful memories!
thank you for sharing :)
That is absolutely magic.
I don't know whether I'm more awed by the depth and richness of your memories or the strength your grandmother must have had. :)
Great memories! I have so many precious memories spending time at my grandparents.
Have a great weekend!
Such a wonderful memories.
I wish I had an island.
Hi there, I came over from Candid Carries. What an amazing story to go with the photo. It sounds like you ahd a wonderful childhood there.
What great memories! It makes me wistful for a simpler time....What a great post..thanks for sharing...and thanks for checking in on me again yesterday. I truly adore you Beth.
Now you're making miss my Grandma and Grandpa! We didn't have an island or anything... but I loved my summers there with the cousins!
I want to LIVE THERE! DO YOU still get to visit?????? AWESOME!
I love your rendition of your memories - definitely brings character to the picture and imagination of what went on there.
Thanks for sharing
Thanks for stopping over at my place this morning! Oddly enough my Brother and Sis-In-Law just left for Mahkwa Lodge - Lac Seul Canada to go fishing!! They love love love Canada for fishing!!
HAVE A SUPER WEEEKEND!!
- Jennifer
Wow. I bet she didn't pay near as much as it must be worth now.
Rainbows in the spray of the wake...man, we grow up and take such simple pleasures for granted, often not even noticing them anymore, huh?
Sounds like a great place where you built some great memories.
Such great memories...thanks for sharing!!
I love memories and simpler (is that a word?) times.......
And an island? Seriously? How cool is that?
You brought me right back there! Love the picture of their home on an island! How cool is that!
Wow....that is sooo cool they have their own island! I didn't know people did that. Glad you have so many wonderful memories!!!!
What a fun childhood and what wonderful memories of your family and grandparents. A true legacy! Thank you so much for sharing. Some of my favorite memories were spent at my grandparent's with my cousins. Your post brought back many memories.
Thanks for sharing such a lovely memory!
I wish my Grandma had bought an island without permission... Sadly, most of her illicit purchases came from the Home Shopping Network.
Great pic and wonderful story! I closed my eyes and felt like I was there for a moment. :-)
Thanks for sharing those memories:-) I got a warm fuzzy:-)
I also got a warm fuzzy from your comments on my blog. Thanks for visiting:-)
Those are wonderful memories. I wonder how much I could get an island for these days? :-)
What I wouldn't give to own an island. *sigh* That's just freakin' awesome!
That sounds like it was the best place on earth for a while in your life. That's what my grandparents house was, granted they didn't have their own island, but it was the best for me.
Great memories!!!!
And definitely, next time the hubby moans at me about something 've bought, I am going to say 'At least I didn't buy an island' !!!
Post a Comment