Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Is it Wednesday?? I have a rag.... and other good stuff

First things first - for all of you who commented yesterday, mucho kisses to you ALL!! I loved reading the comments and hearing you all laugh out loud ;)

Karla - sadly Mr. B does have brothers but they're married. I'll keep my eyes open for ya though!!!

Gert DID get her shots yesterday. Oh my GOODNESS the drama! First they asked her to pee in cup. This produced tears and hysteria. I had to CARRY her to the bathroom, strip her down and put her on the potty. She finally starts to go potty, realizes it doesn't hurt, and says "So, how much do you need?" Silly girl. We went back to the room, all was well and fine, then the nurse with the shots comes in, and Gert dives UNDER the desk. I hauled her out and put her on the table. I was holding her arms to her chest, and we had to have another nurse come in to hold her legs and then the other nurse did the shots. Gert was screaming "Did you do it yet??? DID YOU DO IT YET" and fighting and crying and I was..... laughing. Yes, I admit it, I laughed. I always have when the girls get shots. I don't really know why, but seeing them get THAT mad that quick and then realize they don't even know when they've gotten the shot... it just makes me laugh. They poked her 4 times, poor baby. But she recovered quickly and skipped out of the office when we were done. She told me later "NOW we can talk about school!"

Essie is having a little trouble transitioning to being home. She doesn't want me to go to work... she doesn't really want me out of her sight. I'm trying to be sensitive to her, but yet not enable her. Not easy. She keeps complaining her tummy hurts, but then seems to forget about it... it's hard to explain but I think my little girl is depressed. I'm going to try to contact someone today and see if we can get her into a counselor/psychologist and see what they think. Please keep Essie in your thoughts/prayers.

I DO have a rag today - I realize the world isn't a perfect nor fair place, but our stupid school system here is SO geared for stay-at-home-moms. (I am NOT slamming stay-at-home-moms!!! I wish I were one!!!!) I got a automated call the other day that the meet the teacher time will be August 13th from 1-3. ARGH!!! I don't have any paid time off!!!! I'm going to have to take at LEAST 2 hours if not more because I work about 25 minutes from the school! I can't afford that! And then I called to find out how to go about signing up for free and reduced lunches. Well, you have to come to the school during business hours to do that. Okay, so I'll combine the trips but SERIOUSLY??? I DON'T GET IT!!!! And the message also said if we have a Kindergartner (which Gert is) then the teacher will be calling to arrange a personal time to meet. You can bet THOSE hours will be during business hours too. I had planned to take a little time off on the morning of the 14th to take Gert to her first day of Kindergarten but I'm most likely not going to be able to now. DANG IT! This just makes me mad. I know the teachers don't want to work at night, but come on, one night for a couple hours? They are constantly complaining that parents aren't involved. WELL I WANT TO BE but you're gonna have to help just a SMIDGE!!!!!!!!! I know I'm supposed to forgive when I rag and let it go... I'll try... I can't promise though.

Thanks again for all the lovin yesterday. I WILL get back to all of you - eventually!!!!!!!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be so happy that you don't live in the same county as us. The first full day is the 11th. The new Kindergartener's first day isn't until the 14th and then he has to go only 1/2 days until the 21st. Yes, half days where his old daycare won't take him in the afternoon and his new daycare is afterschool only - starting at 2:30!! Oh, and there's no transportation too, someone has to pick the kids up at 11am.

I get to use 5 vacation days so my son can start Kindergarten. sigh.

Lesley said...

I completely agree with you about the insanity of the way school systems schedule things. What the heck are they thinking??? Lots and lots of moms work... and not because they WANT to, they work because they HAVE to.

Let's just say that any given school has an average of 100 teachers. Each of those teacher has lets just say, 25 kids in their class. Thats an average of 2500 kids!! And, I'd be willing to bet that WAY OVER half of those kids' moms work. That would be 1250 moms who have to find a way to take time off of work to go to school for whatever reason.

Soooooooooo you mean to tell me that it's better to inconvenience over 1,000 people than to ask the teachers to come to school in the evening for ONE day for a COUPLE of hours????????? That is what I call complete insanity.

At this point in my life, I am blessed to be a stay-at-home Mom. But, I haven't always been. When my oldest son was younger, I worked too. It is so frustrating for working Moms.

I wish the school boards would realize what an impossible position they are putting moms in and that they would change the way they do things. I truly believe that it would benefit everyone involved, the children and their parents!

Yikes!! Sorry for such a long comment, but that topic always strikes a nerve with me!! Have a great day, HANG IN THERE!!! You are doing an awesome job with your girls!

Buttons and Dots Photography said...

Schools don't get it, that's for sure! My son is Austistic and we must have many meetings regarding his special plans. They always make them during the day. That is mostly the reason for my being a stay at home mom now. But I have to return to work soon, so then what?!

Angie's Spot said...

I'll keep Essie in my thoughts and send zen for all of you!

And you're right about schools. They do gear things for at least one full time parent, which is stunning considering that most households have zero full time parents. Forget single parent households. Sorry you're having trouble with their schedule mismanagement. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

Kori said...

Poor Essie I hope she gets over this spell soon. Also Gert skipping really? I mean she is some kind of tough. And don't get me started about School. I ahve nothing nice to say so I will just hush.

Bar-b said...

Sorry that the school cannot accommodate an interested parent. I say talk to the teach and maybe you can do either super duper early or at happy hour on a friday...you buying the drinks :)

got here through sits...a day late and a blogger short..oh welll, will keep reading now.

Kori said...

Ya know I only live a couple of hours from Atlanta. Maybe one of these days we can meet up and go to lunch.

Susie said...

I am lucky to be a stay-at-home-mom but I do agree with you. If they want parents to be involved then don't make it so damned hard!! Some of my best friends are teachers and I wonder what they have to say on the issue. I think I might ask.

Kori said...

It's a secret. shhhh don't tell Ok. But then why else does he good loving at home.

Oh Starbucks it is you.

lol I know you are cracking up. Aren't ya? Yep .

Amy said...

I always had that same issue with the school, you are not alone. They don't even stop to think, apparently, that we can't always get there when they want. Hang in there :D

Anonymous said...

Hey HTL....so glad you had a good SITS day yesterday. I'm STILL trying to get back to everyone...so good luck!

Glad Gert's shots went well....well enough anyway. Sorry about Essie...will be keeping her in my thoughts and prayers.

You are absolutely right. Schools want parents to stay involved but a lot of parents HAVE to work, espeically us single ones. So they need to figure out a way to accomodate us. Most of the schools around here to like an open house in the evening before school starts...that seems like a good idea to get some of that stuff out of the way then.

Melisa S. said...

I think the school systems have gotten progressively worse and have to wonder if they will ever get better!

Insane Mama said...

I used to work at a school, and even then the scheduling didn't make sense. They have to have a certain amount of breaks and hours, it's weird. I hope Essie get over it. I totaly understand depression.

WheresMyAngels said...

I have NEVER heard of a Meet the Teacher time start that early, that is insane!

Also I am surprised you have to go to the school to sign up for free or reduced lunch. Here you can just call the school and they send a paper home for your child to fill out and your child can take it back or you can mail it in. and wa la you are done.

M-A said...

Tell me about it! I AM a stay at home mom, but a stay at home mom who has other kids that need to be cared for, and I get things like a call on a Friday morning to be there Friday afternoon sheesh not everyone has a built in babysitter ya know



Prayers For Essie I know it all must be hard for her and for You, but you know are doing so good for her.

Deanna said...

O.K. Lizzy... As a PTO president, let me tell you what to do. First, get on your phone and contact your PTO president and let her know that you are willing to help out, but that you are a working mom and that you would appreciate them considering that when they schedule hours. (Yes, PTO's are asked when planning these things!!) Second, volunteer to be a part of the PTO in some manner so that when they have meetings you can voice these types of issues. Third, call your school's central office (either through email or phone call) and let them know that you would appreciate them considering this issue when they plan next year's meet the teacher. Sometimes they do things just because they have "ALWAYS" done it.

sassy stephanie said...

Oh poor Essie. I sure hope maybe she's just scared of the new school year. I hope it is nothing too big. Will be praying for her.

I am a SAHM but agree with you. Most of the time, these things don't allow siblings in my case. I have a constant grip on my leg from my 3 year old. I have had to miss things simply b/c I don't have anyone to watch him.

We lucked out this year. Our meet the teacher is in the evening. Fight for your rights, girl. I'm sure other parents feel the same way.

Anonymous said...

Ask the teacher for a phone meeting on your lunch break or in the evening if she isn't willing to meet you in person after work. You have a job, just like HER, so she should understand. In elementary school, teachers expect moms to hover and be on hand for the PTA--by high school they act shocked and a little annoyed if a parent actually shows up for a parent/teacher conference.

natalie said...

I hear you on the parent/teacher conferences..luckily the school district in my area started having extended hours (until 9pm!) for the working moms and dads...unfortunately you had to beg to get that spot since so many parents work!

Alison said...

That's just wrong about the school hours. Here we have a meet the teacher night one evening before school starts. What's so hard about that?

I will keep Essie in my prayers. Good for you for looking for ways to help her.

Dawn said...

As a counselor, I agree that Essie may be depressed and having her see a counselor is a great idea! You never know what is going on in their little heads. AND, as a SCHOOL counselor, I see all the time how the parents are unable to make school meetings because they are DURING work! I was talking to someone today who was very upset because their child's school orientation is from 1 - 3pm! So you have to leave work to go? That's nuts. Those things should be in the evening. I hope it works out that you can get there.

KWolfAK said...

I guess that I'm pretty lucky, because our son's school usually offers at least one day for evening conferences.

Trooper Thorn said...

Not only stay at home mom's Lizzie, but they expect dad's to be stay at home too. With all the In-Service days, early dismissals and phone calls to come get your kid in the middle of the day, we are expected to run our lives around the school's schedule.

Not once growing up, was my dad ever expected to come to school for anything during the day. Now at their beck and call.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and commenting on how movie idols make me feel old. At least I'm younger than John McCain (but he was already a hero before he was 30).

Camille said...

I am a SAHM, I grew up in a home where my mom worked- she definitely did a better job than I am doing.... anyhow, you are right, many things are geared for SAHM's- and it isn't fair. Someone should invent a "trade day." SAHM's get to get a break from the kiddos and have a career day- Career gals get a break from the office to get their million errands done.... and maybe a little nap?

Tam said...

The teachers here make home visits between 9 and 3. I am a sahm but this school system I am involved IN is not geared toward stay at home moms or working MOMS....they just do what they want to without REGARD for ANY parents wether we work or do not work. For example WE are NOT allowed to walk a children to their class on the very first day of school. Seriously now....I think that is so wrong. This is the very first time my child will ever be aware from me and I have to pull up to a curb and drump the child out and leave??? I am so unhappy about the entire situation. I understand your fustration and point of view that it seems geared toward stay at home MOMS but here trust me WE are not really a warmly welcomed at ALL. Infact it seems this school system really limits US on so many levels.

Debbie said...

Oh Lizzie...I feel sick about everything you wrote. I hope your daughters are ok and you are right to have her talk to a counselor. And because I am a SAHM and so many of the women in my neighborhood are I never ever considered that the working Moms especially single ones have to worry about this stuff. I am so clueless. I will pray for you my friend. It will all work out.

Nonnas News said...

I agree with you! They should do it at night so ALL(or most) parents could come! They just want to make it easy on themselves!