It was HOT today. 102 degrees. Hot. I work both jobs on Mondays, so by the time I get home at 6:30, I just want to sink into my "big butt chair", pull up the ottoman and veg. So tonight, I did that very thing. Adjusting the fan so that it would include me in its cooling swath, I sank back into my chair and focused, just barely, on the tv. I was half way between awake and a complete coma when I become aware that Essie is screaming in terror from the basement. Now, big butt chairs with ottomans are NOT easy to fly out of. I threw myself over the ottoman and raced through the kitchen, dodging Katie's play school toy bus, and raced down the stairs. The screams continued. In my mind's eye, I tried to prepare myself for what I might find. An appendage removed by an errant scrapbook photo cutter? A bone jutting from a leg after a poorly executed (not to mention not allowed) jump from the couch? Blood pouring from some orifice after a meeting with a tinkertoy? I look up, and there she is, tears pouring down her face, panic in her voice... and then my eyes are drawn to the culprit of the screams.
She has a plastic bowl... stuck.. on her knee. Yes, a plastic, orange, IKEA bowl suctioned cupped to her knee. She is terrified that she will have to go to the hospital to have it removed. I know.. I shouldn't have laughed. I should have been totally consoling and comforting, which I did do... but I laughed. I laughed hard. I wish I could have taken a picture of that face. SHEER terror. I bent down, broke the suction with my finger, and freed her poor little kneecap from it's plastic prison. And laughed some more. Eventually she also saw the humor in it.
Looks so innocent, doesn't it?

5 comments:
That reminds me of when we were little and my Mom bought us all Cokes (in the bottle) from the store. That was such a treat for us. On the way home my sister started screaming in this muted voice, "I tuck. I tuck." We all look at her and her tongue and sucked into the Coke bottle because she had been drinking and created such a suction it sucked her tongue in. We did the same thing you did.... laughed!!!
LOL tooo funnY!
I am sorry about your house being forclosed! That bites! I have to admit though if I had a Viking Stove in my house that was going to be forclosed....I would take it out of the house and sell it!
I have quite a few friends over the years have to have their homes forcloses due to divorce and I KNOW that were not slackers.
IN fact most of my friends had the houses on the market and had them very very nice in order for it to be sold instead of forclosure but YOU KNOW in nasty divorces it does not work that way.
IN my divorce I signed the house over to my Husband...because I could afford to keep it ...he made more money than me of course. That was a sad day for me.....uggg!Well I got a little money out of the deal but not much at all. HE still has the HOUSE!
That is so funny!! I know the feeling of hearing the scream and then holding your breath until you get there to see what is actually wrong! I'm glad it wasn't serious! To you anyway!! And thanks for the standing ovation on my post! I appreciate that!! Did you see the award I gave you on my blog before that post? I thought I sent you a message to tell you, but I may have forgotten!
OMG--laughed out loud! We had a "moment" like that recently. One girl stopped up the toilet and couldn't get it to stop running--she was screaming like someone was trying to stab her to death! I sprinted up from the basement to find one shrieking child and the other laughing at her sister.
That is too funny!! Sounds like something my girls would have done when they were younger.
Post a Comment