Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Turkey, Tettrizini & Travel....

The Tuesday evening before Thanksgiving I drove the hour to where I meet their dad when we swap them, then came back home and packed up for my weekend in HOTLANTA!!!!

Wednesday my boss GRACIOUSLY let us close the office about an hour early so I could get on the road. WOO HOO!!! I was driving along, boppin to some tunes... crossed the border into South Carolina.. woo hoo!! Cheap gas!!

Kept going till i got down to Greenville.. which is about an hour south of my house. Found a station that said "$1.54" and pulled in. I reached over to get my wallet out of my purse and found....


A BIG hole where my wallet should be. Yes, ladies and gentleman, I had LEFT my wallet at home. An hour away. And it's ALL Sonic's (the drive-in, not the hedgehog) fault. See, I gone there at lunch to get an Egg Nog milkshake - and they don't' HAVE them. HAD they HAD them I would have attempted to PAY for it and I would have realized I didn't have my wallet. Thanks for NOTHING Sonic.

So I must turn around and drive the hour back to my house. But remember why I stopped... to get gas... why? Because I was RUNNING LOW.

(Side note - here is a brief sketch of my travels from Tuesday night through Sunday afternoon. Each line represents a trip)(Map is not to scale)
Okay, back to the story. I'm driving home, UP BIG MOUNTAINS... (that guzzles gas for you flat-landers) and the gas light comes on in my car. I still have quite a ways to go... Oh Jesus please help me get home and to a gas station... oh Jesus please help me get home and to a gas station. At that very moment... the traffic stops on the interstate because of construction.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I was sure my goose was cooked at that point... but it let up and I got to my exit... I got to my neighborhood... I got to my street... I got to my parking lot.... I got my wallet... I got back in my car and went to the NEAREST gas station. My tank is a 14 gallon tank. I put 15.252 gallons of gas in my car. Thus leading me to conclude that this is what my car looked like:



Well... I FINALLY made it to Atlanta... what should have been a 3 hour trip took 5. I got there and saw Mr. B for about 10 minutes, then finally pulled up to Kat's house. I was so glad to see her... and that LOVELY guest bed.

Thursday morning I woke up and was excited to see I'd made it to another Thanksgiving!! At my age, you know, nothing is a guarantee. Kat's kitchen was a bee-hive of activity. She put me to WORK.... Here I am making pudding!!


Kat's Mom had gotten some really beautiful floral arrangements. We had to keep them hidden though, because the kitties liked them JUST a little TOO much!!

After slaving away all day, and watching kitties try to break into the oven to eat the turkey, it was time to eat. There were 11 of us. Kat & Mr. Kat, Kat's girls, Kat's mom, Kat's brother, Kat's brother's roommate, and Kat's Long Lost Cousin & Husband. We all stood in the living room, ready to thank the Lord for this meal. Kat suggested one of her daughters pray. Much... discussion followed:



In the end Kat asked me to pray and I was more than glad to because I was HUNGRY.

ALL the food was WONDERFUL. Despite her assertions that we were not going to have a traditional Thanksgiving meal, we had a traditional Thanksgiving meal.

And that thing with the wing... it's a turkey. I know.. it looks WAY too much like a Vikings helmet.



Kat, Mr. Kat, Long Lost Relatives (From now on known as Mr. LLR & Mrs. LLR) and I sat down at the table together. Mr & Mrs LLR talked... incessantly. They just moved, corruption, coffee cans with contraband in them, pain, daughters, scrap booking... and a whole bunch of stuff I just tuned out at some point. Here's Mr. LLR and his noise pollution:




Mrs. LLR has some... issues... she seemed either physically incapacitated or drunk. Whichever it was this picture doesn't do justice of her hair flipping (she NEEDS bangs) and facial... covering...when she talked.



Kat, Mr. Kat and I were on seconds for the Family LLR was even through their first servings because of their yapping. After the meal poor Kat's mom got trapped on the couch with Mrs. LLR who was going on about all things... crafty.... poor Kat's mom.

Because I work for lunatics, I had to head home Thursday night so I could go to work Friday for 5 hours. It was a nice night for a drive. I had my wallet.





I went to work Friday. The phone rang 3 times. 2 times it was people I work with telling me they decided not to work that day after all.

The office closed at 1, and I headed back to Atlanta. Again, I had my wallet. Mr. B and I met to do some shopping and then had a LOVELY picnic supper in the rain... don't worry, we were under some covering so we didn't get wet. We had a really good talk, and some REALLY good kissing... *sigh*... then I headed on to Kat's.




Later that night Kat, Mr. Kat and I went to a local watering hole for some trivia!! I got to meet some of Kat's friends. They were SUPER DUPER cool and NEATO and FUN!!! We had a great time. We didn't win. Damn Tettrizini. Here we all are gathered around the table.


We headed home and I crawled into that WONDERFUL bed... I called Mr. B before I went to sleep and said something about how I can't ever sleep past 8. Um... yeah... I woke up after 10. If you are EVER in Atlanta and need a NICE place to sleep, I HIGHLY recommend the larger of Kat's 3 guest beds... it's wonderfully comfortable and the covers are cozy!!!

When I finally got my lazy arse out of bed, Kat and I headed out to do some shopping. First we went to have MEXICAN food... it was NUMMY. The conversation was STIMULATING!!!


Then we got to the shopping. Now, I know Kat's daughter follows my blog, so that's about all I have to say about that. But here's a picture of Kat... shopping.






THEN we went over to Target. WHICH was a madhouse! There were NO carts. NONE... it was cut throat carting. You had to wait for people to get finished in line and then hope they weren't going to use the cart to carry their single purchase of a preemie onsie out to the car. Well. I got a cart. Kat was then in the area waiting for this next cart, and made eye contact with a guy coming from the registers, when this BEOTCH swoops in and takes the cart!!! Kat was going to kung foo chop her.... see... (I like a good action shot)



Now... here's where you all get jealous. Mr. B met us at Target. Yes. Kat has met Mr. B. In fact Kat got to witness Mr. B sneaking up on my from behind. Which I still don't understand how that worked since I was watching the door. But here's a picture of it:



We headed back to Kat's and had some nummy leftovers for supper. Kat's girls were just GIGGLY pusses to be sure... I have never seen 2 sibling crack each other up like they do....


Mr. B and I went out that night - we went to an old Monster Movie - there's this awesome place in Atlanta that does old monster movies with a floor show beforehand. SOOOO funny. We saw "The Creeping Eye"....

Sunday morning I headed out... up to Knoxville to get the girls... it rained the WHOLE WAY THERE.....
Because of the holiday traffic it took 7 hours to drive home... by the time we walked in the door I was BEAT. Then I realized.... I was OL... mother hubbard.... I had pickles and milk and condiments. Were I pregnant, i would have been in luck....
So I dragged my sorry butt to the store, loaded up on a couple items, came home... and crashed on the couch.
Thus ending my lovely, wild, Thanksgiving weekend.

46 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow!! that was quite the story!! Glad you had a good thanksgiving!! I was driving home from VA on sunday! THe traffic was CRAZY!!

Outnumbered2to1 said...

Okay, bind this baby up and get it on the book shelves in time for the holidays. I see a best seller! That was very entertaining.

Tam said...

OOO MY goodness...that is tons of DRIVING! I could never ever do it but it sounds like YOU had fun! I agree with the comment this was very very entertaining...esp with the drawings!

Jane In The Jungle said...

OK I just love the pictures soooo much. Girl they're so realistic that you didn't even need words!!
And the SAME THING happened to me and my BFF in Target!!! The shopping cart, not Mr. B !!!!!!!

Jen said...

what an awesome Thanksgiving. It had it all friends, crazy family, food, love, adventure, love, more food and sleep. Just lovely.

Heather said...

You are the most awesomest stick-person artist I know. I love your stories...better than photos, even!

I am convinced my mini-van has been surrounded by angels multiple times. Have you ever read Frank Peretti? Can't remember the title, but he writes fiction about angels and prayer warriors and such. Good books.

Anyway, I left an award for you on my little ole blog. Check it out when you get a chance.

Caroline said...

I like your pics and your trip sounds wonderful. You might need to take driver's ed again because in one of the pictures of your driving, you're riding the line. I'm just sayin'.

Ronda's Rants said...

First...I was/am tired just reading your blog...My God lady do you rest?
And second...you should start a comic strip...
The amazing adventures of Lizzy Girl!!!!!
You really are pretty good at this!!
Sending love!

Kori said...

I am so loving the pictures. You are awesome. And I am so Jealous. So very, very jealous.

Mama Wheaton said...

I'm not sure what's better your stories or the pictures! Either way I love reading your blog. Glad you had a great Thanksgiving.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

OOoooo...I can so see Lizzy the comic book artist. I think you have a future.

And I love that you put the onion rings on the table for trivia. Damn tetrazini.

We had so much fun. When are you coming back?

Jackie said...

omgosh! Beth, you are such a HOOT!!! LOVE the pics...you so so talented..really!

Glad you had a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!!

Unknown said...

LOL...that was ONE fun trip eh? I LOVED your drawings-I can see them now in one of those flip books

Liz said...

You are hilarious! Love the illustrations that went with the story. Very helpful.

This Mom said...

Even though you spent alot of time in the car it looks like you had a great time.

Aubrey said...

If there was a year end countdown for blog posts, you know, like the top 40 songs of 2008, this post would so be NUMBER ONE!

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

i love your photos!!!

natalie said...

Ok, first..thanks for stopping by! :)

And next...are you kidding me with those pictures?!? Haha They are amazing!

M-A said...

I love your photos, my favorite was the windshield wipers LOL

very entertaining!

we went to Target too, there were no carts to be seen too, we hunted down a cart and went up the escalator only to see a zillion of them at the top LOL

something about Target eh?

Britt said...

I love it when you forget your camera ;-) This was very much worth the wait!

Melissa B. said...

WOW...an exhausting, exhilarating, extremely ecstatic, not to mention well-illustrated (OK, I was all out of alliteration!) account! Glad you had fun!! I think you should hire out your artistic services!

BTW, I'm a finalist for a Pretty Neat Blog Award. Sure would appreciate your vote! Please come by to see me to get the details. Thanks!!

Shannon said...

Have I told you my oldest thinks you draw "real good"?

Love the pics... I think you capture the moments way better than any camera ever could!

And glad to hear you had a great holiday :)

Ashley said...

Great stories with lots of great pictures to go along. You are a wonderful 'photographer'!!! I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving weekend with your wallet. :)

Amy said...

This is THE best post I have ever read. From anyone. LOVE the drawings :D

Lynda said...

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this post - you are TOO clever!

Alison said...

The drawings are AWESOME. I especially love the one with the angels around your car.

Sounds like a fabulous Thanksgiving weekend (except the LLR's, of course--as a scrapbooker I am wondering how she can look at the paper with her hair covering her face!)

Anonymous said...

Caroline said:
"You might need to take driver's ed again because in one of the pictures of your driving, you're riding the line. I'm just sayin'."

Heeee, that cracked me up.

I LOL'd several times. Great storytelling.

Michelle said...

OMG, LMAO. That is so funny. I needed that after reading Kori's blog. OMG. I am so happy for them.

Gramma 2 Many said...

Love the art. Do not know why you are wasting your time in some boring office when you have such talent. Get out there and use it!!! Market it!!
Sounds like a fun weekend, except for the driving.

Tracy P. said...

I was just fine, thankyouverymuch, until the picture of Kat kung fu chopping the lady with "her cart". So glad you had fun! And I knew that wasn't a Vikings helmet because the Vikings didn't even PLAY that day--they were resting up for da Bears.

KimmyJ said...

Geesh, I'm exhausted for you!! I am glad you made it safely and had a great time with Kat! For the record, I have relied on the "gas" angels a time or two as well!

Frizzy said...

I'm so thankful you made it home to get your wallet w/o running out of gas. I HATE that feeling! It sounds like the rest of your holiday was pretty darn wonderful. YEAH! Loved all the drawings.

Swirl Girl said...

It was well worth the wait!

sounds like you had a great time that weekend!

Becky said...

You are a fantastic artist. It helped me visualize it so well! Sounds like a fun, fun, fun, weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hysterically funny! And you, my deah, are quite the Artiste....

sassy stephanie said...

You seriously, seriously, I mean seriously crack me up. You by far have the BEST blog pics EVAH!

I love Mr. Kat and the Target pic!!

Susie said...

Sounds like an exciting weekend...both good and bad:-)

krissy said...

Too much fun! Your blog, that is! It's cute, love the pictures, and you poor thing for the wallet! Sonics is 'baaaad'.

Tracy P. said...

Hey Lizzy--doing any baking with those girls? Check out my cookie exchange (just the recipes) here.

Louise | Italy said...

LOVE the Viking helmet!

lov said...

i love your blog!!!
and i love your pictures!! :)
too cute!!

Lula! said...

Oh, but you make me SMILE! And laugh! And sometimes cry, but usually in a good way.

Loved this post, girl...and, as always, the drawings were SPOT ON. Perfection.

Ronnica said...

Love the pictures and the commentary, especially the part about Mr. and Mrs. LLR!

Melisa S. said...

That's a lot of mileage! But I'm glad you had safe travels and a good time!

Debbie said...

LIZZY!! You are killing me! YOu need to get this stuff published woman...I loved every single word of this!!!

Rhea said...

I LOVE your illustrations. You crack me up.

I'm so jealous of all your Kat-time.