Wednesday, December 10, 2008

For Unto You a Star is Born

In what is apparently becoming a theme week of Christmas Programs (?) I thought I would share with you how The Ladies play went this weekend. They were in our church's production of "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever". Gert was a Baby Angel and Essie was in the Angel Choir. Friday night was their first performance. I went and was right in the second row. The play is delightful and the actors did a wonderful job. Essie did a lovely job as an Angel - she looked a little nervous, but did so well. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take flash photography and Essie was back where I couldn't get a decent picture of her.
Gert. Gert didn't come on until the very end of the play. All the little Baby Angels file onto the stage, and in their cute little angelic voices, they all sing "Away in a Manager."
All, that is, except Gert.
Gert took it upon herself to liven things up with some good eye crossing:
Some tongue-sticking-outing:

Some jig-dancing:
And some general mayhem:
The audience was in STITCHES. Which of course only egged her on more. From "Away in a manager" to "Asleep on the Hay" she carried on... not singing a single word. But stealing the show none-the-less.
When the show was done and I was walking through the auditorium I heard:
"Did you see that little angel dancing and going on? Wasn't she precious?"
"Then that little angel started crossing her eyes and I couldn't stop laughing."
"Do you think that the little one at the end was told to act that way?"
"That cross-eyed angel - she capped off the show!"
I'll admit, there was part of me that wanted to scold her for her antics, but she was such a hit, how could I? We got in the car and I asked her what made her decide to do that.
"Well Mom.... I just thought the audience could use something to laugh at."
Heaven. Help. Me.
I went to all 3 performances. Sunday afternoon a lady sat down behind me and was telling her companions that she had been at the play Friday night and it was SO enjoyable and funny, but the funniest part was this little angel at the end who crossed her eyes and was doing a little dance.... And then I heard her whisper as Gert took the stage "That's here - that little one with the brown hair - keep your eye on her."
And Gert performed, and as she wanted, she gave the audience something to laugh at.

33 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Oh my! That is hilarious. And knowing the little Miss...not surprising at all. And who knew that the need to contstantly cross one's eyes was genetic? Or perhaps, it's just contagious? :-)

Shannon said...

Oh, that Gert! She is such a corker... love her!

Mama Wheaton said...

It is good to be an original!

Nonnas News said...

That is just too precious! Too bad you couldnt video that! I love all the pictures of her though!!

Ronda's Rants said...

Oh...so cute...A Star is born!

KimmyJ said...

Haha! I wonder where she gets that from? What a doll baby!

Caroline said...

She HAD to get her humor from her father right, cause you still have yours. I'm just sayin'.

That is too cute. I heart The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

CaraBee said...

How funny! Sounds like you have a future comedienne on your hands!

Jackie said...

and you didn't this this on VIDEO.......for AFV????

What a hoot!

Kori said...

Can I just tell that I love Gert. EVen though she slurps spaghetti straight from the serving bowl. I love her. She is the greatest and she made laugh until I cried.

Thanks Pumpkin!

Susie said...

That is totally funny!! Apple doesn't fall far does it?

Tracy P. said...

That is a scream! When they are updating the cover for the BCPE, they NEED those photos. ALL of them.

Is her last name Herdman? ;-)

natalie said...

Hahaha those pictures are great! I can only imagine seeing it in person :)

Amy said...

SHe is too cute, wait until she's a teen..what fun :D

Lynda said...

How cute! She IS a doll :-)

Ashley said...

Wow! She sure sounds like her mother's daughter! Haha! How funny! She does make a cute angel!!

Rhea said...

That's awesome! What a little goofball. I love it. Gert's a cutie.

Simply AnonyMom said...

She is so adorable. SHe looks like she is having such a fun time!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Everyone needs a Gert in their life!!!

Outnumbered2to1 said...

I believe this is the "it" they are talking about when they say you either have 'it' or you don't. Looks like she has 'it' in spades.

Awesome

Anonymous said...

too cute!!

Saving The Day said...

ROFLMAO! I can't even type because I'm in hysterics! LOLOLOLOLOL

Alison said...

What a ham! Those pictures are classic!

Jen said...

Oh she is histerical, you better keep a good eye on that one. ;)

Anonymous said...

That is so cute-I LOVE it! Hysterical!!!!

Heather said...

She rocks my world! I wish I could've seen it! I can just see Gabe pulling that this weekend at his preschool Christmas show. I'll keep you posted.

Good for you for not correcting her. I'm sure there were plenty of people who needed exactly this kind of Christmas cheer.

sassy stephanie said...

I can seriously only imagine how hard the audience was laughing. THe apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Nichole said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog today and for leaving a comment! :o)

And yay for SDSU!!! That's my alma matter :o)

Frizzy said...

When do you get your raise? So excited for you! Love the pics of your daughter. I think she takes after another funny lady in the family.

Linda said...

Me thinks she is her mothers daughter!! HA HA HA

Melissa said...

Gert is a trip. Her little jig was off the chain. You and her need to take that eye thing to Letterman....I'll go to New York with ya....name the date.

scotirish said...

I loved your story... here is mine.

I have read of many churches celebrating Christmas with Pageants that include an actual baby portraying the role of 'baby Jesus'. Our first child Ruth, was born December 12th, 1981 and was chosen to be 'baby Jesus' for our church's (Reba Place Fellowship) Christmas Eve service. Last year, our grandson, Charlie, born on Oct. 19th 2008, was chosen, also at Reba Place Fellowship. But in prison no such ritual exists.

I wasn't even thinking about babies being in Christmas plays back in 1972. This was yet another year in prison, the difference being this was my first Christmas as a christian. The Christmas service held new meaning for me as we sang the traditional Christmas Carols bringing with it a hope for a new life with a redeemed future. Christian volunteers were a part of our service at the U. S. Medical Center for Prisoners in Springfield, Mo.

As our service wound to completion a cry was heard. The faint
whimpering of a baby. My first thought was that I wasn't hearing what I thought I had heard. I had been in prison for many years and had never even seen a baby inside of a prison (not counting my infrequent times in the visiting room.) But there it was again, a baby crying. Someone, a volunteer, had brought their baby into the service wrapped in a blanket unnoticed by the guards. I then thought, there was our 'baby
Jesus'. The parents of the yet unknown child were the children of an older couple (Lloyd and Nita Colbaugh) who had only a few years previously began their ministry to the prison. Even the great-grandmother, (Mom Carter) was a volunteer and had played a significant role in my own conversion, telling me that God had a plan for my life.

Life would go on and the incident of 'baby Jesus' coming to prison would fade to a memory, until the baby grew up and now is known throughout many countries far and wide as acclaimed Christian
singer/songwriter Sara Groves. I hope this story adds to your appreciation of the life of Sara and her family.
John C Thomson

Sydney said...

Great story... and great photos to go along with it!