Monday, December 8, 2008

It's Time (up front tissue warning)

I have a story I want to share with you. I've been waiting. Waiting for the sign that it was time. What was I waiting for? For the first time I would hear the Christmas carol "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." I heard it last night, so the time has come.

John Bernau was the "yucky" kid in my elementary school. He wore 2nd hand/hand-me-down clothes. He was the oldest of... a lot of boys... I really have no idea how many. His mom always seemed to be pregnant. His dad... I don't know what he did for a living but he drank away his paychecks. The family lived in a run-down, single-wide trailer. The boys all had home-done buzz cuts and mom obviously didn't have the steadiest of hands... there were always little bald spots and uneven spots.

Because of the ever-present "Alphabetical Order" in elementary school, I was next to John in everything. Including our lockers. And I'll be honest. He didn't always smell so good. He ALWAYS smelled like a stale cigarette, but sometimes even worse. He wore Converse shoes when they were NOT cool. He stuttered a little.

We kids were MEAN to him. M-E-A-N mean. We teased him, kids pushed him, they super glued the lock on his locker. We ignored him. We laughed at his stammering... we were mean.

The Christmas of 6th grade, I was chosen to sing a solo in the school Christmas program (back when you could have a public school Christmas program). I would be singing the first 2 verses of "I Heard The Bells." I'll admit, I was feeling good and smug. Then, Mrs. Ludtke rocked my world. (And NOT in a good way) She announced who would be singing the next 2 verses.

John Bernau.

I was going to have to stand, on the stage, alone, with John Bernau. My moment in the spotlight - ruined. Oh the unfairness of it all. The horror. The embarrassment.

The night came... I had on my best Christmas duds (believe it or not I do NOT think they were plaid)... I had my hair all brushed and cute holiday accessorized. I got to school and saw John. Same clothes as usual - brown cords, brown plaid shirt, blue falling-apart converse shoes.

Ugh.

The time came. John & I took the stage. The piano started, and I stepped forward to sing my part:

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play
And wild and sweet, the words repeat
Of peace on earth good will, to men.

I thought how as the day had come
The belfries of all Christendom
Had roll'd along th' unbroken song
Of Peace on earth, good will to men.
Then, John's verses:
And in despair, I bow'd my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song,
Of Peace on earth, good will to men."
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep;
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With Peace on earth, good will to men."
Obviously as a twelve-year-old the message was lost on me. I was still mortified to be standing there with John Bernau.
I can't tell you at what point my feelings changed. Obviously at some point I grew up and realized that John Bernau was just a sweet little boy, trapped by circumstances which were in NO WAY under his control. When he needed a friend, he got foes. When he needed encouragement, he got ignored. When he needed a smile, he got a sneer.
My heart now breaks every time I hear that song. I can't hear it and keep my eyes dry. The remorse I feel. The guilt. How horrid was I? A child who was teased herself. How could I turn around and be so mean, when I knew exactly how it felt? Sick.
I moved away from that town in 8th grade. I don't know what happened to John Bernau. I hope beyond hope that he was able to rise above all our crap. That he has gone on to a happy life. I hope he was able to break the cycle that he grew up in.
I have searched the internet for years for a listing for John Bernau. I guess I was looking for assurance that he was okay. That our stupid, idiotic, childishness didn't hurt him permanently. But I've never found anything that indicated it was he. I told Mr. B this story, and he started looking. And he found a John Bernau that lives in a town about 30 miles from where we lived. Surely it must be him, right?
So I have here a letter. Written to John Bernau, addressed to the address we found. I'm sending it today. It's not a very long letter. It's just an apology. A long over-due apology.


Then pealed the bells more loud and deep;
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With Peace on earth, good will to men."

44 comments:

Tracy P. said...

Wow, Lizzy, what to say? I hope your letter makes it to the right guy, and that he is blessed by the right prevailing, even if just for one, sacred moment.

There is a lot of hope in those words.

Unknown said...

Okay I am a blubbering mess...I hope it is THE John that gets the letter...I gotta go now tears...

Melissa said...

Lizzy, there are few posts that actually make me cry. I get emotional, but I don't cry. This is not one of those posts.(sniff, sniff, deep breath).

I guess this one just hits home for me. Kids can be so mean. I've been on the giving and receiving end of it. My son has been dealing with a mean child now for about 6 months and the mother bear in me wants to bite back. I have talked to his mother and she took offense to me saying anything about her child. What to do? I have just tried to teach Michael to love him and pray for him and not return evil for evil.

I am praying your letter makes it to John. Can you imagine how that will make him feel? That kind of stuff just doesn't happen everyday! Thank you for your very inspiring and convicting post.

Ronda's Rants said...

I am sorry you have carried this so long Lizzy...it is time to put it down and I think that the letter was a great idea...I pray it is the right person and he recieves it the way it was intended.
You are a good and fine person and Mr. B is a blessing for which you deserve!

Lula! said...

Seriously? I am more in love with you now than ever.

THIS, my friend...THIS RIGHT HERE...is what Christmas is all about. You are amazing. Please keep us posted--if he receives it, if he responds, and such.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Oh, Lizzy. I felt horrible for John. But then when I read his lines. Oh, wow. I think your teacher knew what she was doing.

And God is not dead. But works in rather mysterious ways. And on his own time frame.

I hope it's the right John. And that he is blessed. And soothed by your words.

Amy said...

OH my goodness. I hope he gets his letter and responds. That is beyond awesome.

Tam said...

I have no words...none because I can not stop crying!

Crying for that and for the POEM on my blog...thanks...too sweet!

Swirl Girl said...

I hope you find John - and he has prevailed.

Britt said...

I'm so glad this story ended this way ..

I'm glad that we all grow up and most of us see the error of our ways.

I'm glad Mr. B was able to find a possible match for you.

And I'm glad that you wrote him the letter.

You're a good egg, Lizzie =-)

Nonnas News said...

I hope you hear back from John and find out that he has overcome all of that. Keep us updated!!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

thanks..i saw the warning...didn't heed it. but i'm still very happy in the end that you wrote the letter. what a nice thing for you to do...

Anonymous said...

Wow, beautiful story.
I don't know why kids are so mean, seems to be an occurrence in every generation.

Michelle said...

'Tis the reason for the season, Lizzy.

KimmyJ said...

I'm sure it will be the right John!! I know it in my heart. I'm proud of you Lizzie Lou!

Vickie said...

Wow, I was coming over from Nobody But Yourself, to comment on your comment. If that makes any sense.

The guilt you have been carrying. I hope that some day, you can let it go, slip away.

I hope the letter reaches the right John and finds him well.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lizzy...I hope that is your John Bernau!!! How wonderful to get the chance to apologize. Kids are so mean....we just didn't realize the things we realize now.....too sad we sometimes learn too late.

This is my favorite post of yours BY FAR!!!! This is exactly what Christmas is all about!!!

And YaaaY to Mr. B for finding him!!! What a nice gift for you too!

Jennifer and Sandi said...

What an awesome story. It would be cool if he writes you back!! That is really really a nice thing to do !!!

- Jennifer

Shannon said...

Wow. Oh, I hope your letter makes it to the right John... keep us posted on what happens.


I thought the same thing Kat said... that your teacher knew exactly what she was doing when she had him sing those two verses.

Frizzy said...

I'm with Kat and Shannon and I too thought the teacher chose him for a reason. I'm sorry you have carried this with you for so long. I hope this letter brings both of you some peace and healing. Please let us know the outcome.

Jen said...

that is really cool. I hope that all turns out well. You really are a great person, Lizzy, really great. We are all better people for knowing this and knowing you.

Wep said...

I think we all have those memories. The kids we wish we would have been friends with because they so desperately needed a fried. Hang in there hon, you're doing a good thing and maybe it happened to turn you into the warm and caring person you are today :-)

HUGS!

Wep

wendy said...

Wow.

Melisa S. said...

I hope it is the right John and he accepts the apology. That is a very moving thing to do and to even remember and realize!

Mammatalk said...

Very, very heart warming. I hope he has moved on to a wonderful life. I think we were all guilty of being terrible as kids. Good for you for trying to right a long ago wrong!

Finding Normal said...

I hope that's your John, and that you'll hear back from him that he doesn't even remember those incidents and is having a fabulous life. Kids are so mean. I see it every day, despite my best efforts. They are so good at finding the one thing everyone has no control over, and picking picking picking at it. UGH.

Lori said...

you rock! you will make his day!

Givinya De Elba said...

Oh Lizzy. That was an amazing post. I hope you find John. That is a truly lovely thing to do for a long-lost classmate.

Staci Loalbo said...

I just love your authenticity!! Thank you for sharing!!!

natalie said...

This is a wonderful thing for you to do, and absolutely fitting for the holidays, and really, anytime. Try not to be so hard on yourself. I'll be anxiously waiting to hear if this is the right John :)

(and now I need to go find some tissues...)

Mrs4444 said...

Oh, Liz, that is such a beautiful post. I hope he's the one you were looking for!

Lynda said...

Aw, Lizzy, my John was a girl named Linda. Birthday parties always remind me of her.

Susie said...

What a beautiful post. My John was a girl named Sandy. She was my best friend and when the school turned on her, I did too. I was too afraid to be shunned by association. Not my finest moment. But, when we know better, we do better.

Alison said...

Thanks for the tissue warning--I needed it. I hope it is the right John and that he has a good life.

Gramma 2 Many said...

So touching. There are so many "Johns" out there. My husband was one of them. Let me assure you he did rise above it.
I pray that your John has also.

Debbie said...

Oh Lizzie...this is why I love you so much...xoxooxoxox

WheresMyAngels said...

Oh I have been there. I was always teased cause I used to be sky and wore the wrong clothes, and yet I was also mean to others less fortunate then me.

Kids are so mean. But they are kids, who grow up and normally turn out better.

Rhea said...

I'm glad you wrote that letter. I think that's wonderful.

It makes me so sad to think back on the kids who I've seen bullied over the years. I want to go back in time and stand up for them.

Saving The Day said...

That's some powerful stuff, Beth. Wow. I need to go think now ... and wipe my eyes.

Heather said...

I have goosebumps up and down my arms right now.

Oh, I hope you're right, that this is the same John, and that your letter finds him. Who knows, it might just be in the nick of time, when he needs to hear some kind words.

I try and try to teach my children kindness and humility, to tell them how to walk in someone else's shoes for awhile before they judge or worse, tease. It's a hard lesson to teach.

Wonderful post, Beth. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

Lizzie...you made me cry! Please let us know if you hear back...I admire you greatly for apologizing..I think we probably all have a story like this...sadly

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Wow, you'll have to keep us posted on whether or not he responds. I think it's amazing that you sent him that letter.

krissy said...

Oh, make me cry! It is terrible, but so very true, that we have all probably done this. In my 5th grade class, there was a girl we all teased. It doesn't make any sense why we go through that stage.

Jenners said...

Visiting from BPOTW...

That was an amazing post. Most of us have been like that at some point in our lives...I love that you are reaching out. I hope it works. I hope you include a link to this post in your note. I hope he is OK.