Monday, December 15, 2008

Count Your Blessings...

I bought Amy Grant's new Christmas Collection Album. It's a collection of her "best" Christmas songs, and then 4 "new" songs. (Well, new to her - 2 are covers) One of the ones she covers is "Count Your Blessings" which Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney did in White Christmas. (If you haven't seen that movie - it's on Friday night on Lifetime.. YOU MUST WATCH OR RECORD!!!) The song is basically what it says... when life isn't going so slick start counting your blessings.

Well, I can't say life isn't slick at the moment. Other than the whole "lack of $$ thing"... it's pretty dang good. And you know why? Because of my blessings. And I have decided to count them, and share them with you.

#1 - I am the mother to two of the most wonderful girls in the world. Yes, Saturday night I sent them to their room so there wouldn't be bloodshed, but on the whole, they are wonderful girls and thank God every day for the privilege of getting to be their mom.

#2 - All my life I dreamed of a man who I could love deeply and would be my best friend and true love. I had pretty much given up on that dream... and then in walked Mr. B. During what have been some of the most difficult times of my life, he has been a steady rock. Knowing that he is out there, loving me... wow... what that does for a gal.

#3 - My family looks a lot like other families these days - step-parents and half-siblings. And while the journey with that has at times been painful, I'm so thankful for what the beautiful blessings God brought out of a tough situation. No only do I have a mom who loves me even when I'm a turkey and don't call often enough, I have a Julie who adores me and my kids and is the best role model I could find for my hopefully eventual role as a step-mom. I have a Dad with a typical dorky Dad sense of humor. I have a wonderful brother & sister-in-law & nephew. I have the best sister anyone could ask for... who makes me laugh more than anyone ever... hands down.

#4 - My friends... I have wonderful friends that I have known a long time, and I have a whole crop of WONDERFUL new friends that I hope to have in my life for a LONG time.

#5 - A wonderful wonderful lady asked if it would be okay if she would help with The Ladies' Christmas. She asked me to send her a list of things, which I did, thinking she would pick one or two things from the list. Um... no... she got everything. I am so stunned and speechless. I don't believe in spoiling kids on Christmas, but with all the no's I have had to tell them this year, letting them have a bigger Christmas than usual is... such a special blessing.

Another special friend went and bought wonderful gifts for my girls as well. Things that my girls will just love. She did such a wonderful job even though she only has boys.

ANOTHER wonderful friend sent me a Starbucks card... oh Eggnog Latte.

ANOTHER sweet friend has paid for my lunch on more than one occasion, let me drink her Diet Mt. Dews and done a million other things for me. What a blessing.

#6 - My boss was out of the office last week. She was supposed to be out 3 days on training, but then got sick on the way home and ended up being out all week. I held things down pretty well, called the home office a lot for questions but in general kept things going. She's back today, yeah! Well, she sent me this e-mail:

"Were you still thinking about taking the Friday after Christmas off to spend with your mom?"

Now I WAS thinking about it, but since I'm still a temp, if I don't work, I don't get paid, and missing a whole days pay was scaring me.... but I REALLY wanted to spend the time with my mom, so I replied that I was. This is the e-mail I got back:

"That's what I thought. Just wanted to be sure. I wanted to let you know that as a small way to say thank you for last week, you are to take that day WITH pay, so when you submit your time that week, make sure you code it as if you worked. Okay?"

Um... yeah... you know me... I cried.

#7 - I'm healthy... my girls are healthy... there are so many who aren't.

#8 - I have a car that works.

#9 - I live in a safe place with wonderful landlords.

okay... there's a billion other things I could say here... I just want to encourage you all, when things start to look ickey this time of year... to count your blessings....

40 comments:

Tam said...

Girl you have got to put up those tissue warnings....seriously! YOU have got to stop leaving me in a puddle at my desk....good thing NOBODY see's me anyway other than a three year old.

HUGS!

Jane In The Jungle said...

Amen sister!! We are blessed.

Saving The Day said...

Darn it, you got me all misty again. ;-) Yes, you have been blessed in some very wonderful ways! xo

Unknown said...

Tissue warning?? Um did you just forget or want to teach us all a serious lesson? lol

Thank you for making my day and reminding me to count the blessings instead of the ickyness.

Gramma 2 Many said...

This is absolutely beautiful. I may post it on my blog also. When we see the glass as half full, it makds such a difference.
I have always enjoyed listening to Amy Grant. She has such a beautiful voice.

Gramma 2 Many said...

Typo in above post. Makes such a difference, not makds. Shouldn't be in such a hurry.
Like everyone else above, I needed a tissue also.

Amy said...

Lizzy you are my guardian angel! After a horrendous weekend and a not so good day, you really made me think. About a lot of things, of which I need to be more grateful for and learn to not sweat the small stuff. I am tryin, I really am.

I will make a mental note to remember to watch that movie too.

Big hugs to you!

Carla said...

*sniff*

I think this is beautiful (of course you write MANY beautiful posts).

Jen said...

those are some great blessings and you are so right, we need to stop and count them once and a while.

Alison said...

Awww! I am so happy for your girls-- your friends are great!

Jeanne Estridge said...

Came to pay a SITS visit via April.

Sounds like you have a lot going for you and you're smart enough to know it (another blessing!).

Swirl Girl said...

there you go again...always looking at the bright side of things!

and reminding us to do it as well!

thanks!

Indiana Angel said...

I have really missed reading your bloggings :) I'll try to get back more regularly! That darn thing called life keeps tripping me up.

Gretchen said...

What a beautiful post! And, what an intelligent lady to be able to see the light in the overwhelming darkness. It would be easy to focus on everything that is horrible right now, but instead you choose to focus on what is good and you have the 20/20 vision to recognize it. Good for you! As much as you have been blessed, I hope you realize how much of a blessing you are to those around you too!

Jennifer and Sandi said...

Wow is that ever nice of your employer!! Enjoy your paid day off!!!

Happy Chilly Monday!

- Jennifer

Ashley said...

Those are great blessings! It is much better to look at the silver lining of situations that may not always initially be viewed as favorable. You are a great example of that!

Anonymous said...

I'm SO glad that you will be having a wonderful Christmas! You are one blessed lady!

Heather said...

And this is reason 189 why I love you.

I can tell we were meant to be friends.

Even if you refuse to read Twilight.

You know, God has a way of blessing His faithful servants. You are one of the most faithful people I know...you so deserve to be blessed.

Is the song on the CD the hymn "Count Your Blessings"? Or a different song?

KimmyJ said...

You are so blessed - almost as blesses as you are a blessing to others!

Anonymous said...

That is a pretty great list!!!! God has His way of taking care of us....and its usually quite remarkable if we are able to stand back and watch!!!! So glad you have those wonderful friends to help out with The Ladies Christmas!!! :)

Simply AnonyMom said...

That is a great list of blessings. I am especially glad that you found #2, 5 and 6.

And your #1 are so adorable and I love to hear about them.

Unknown said...

I admire you so much.
Sometimes we all get so caught up in the bad that we forget about all the good that's around us.

Merry Christmas!

Mammatalk said...

What a warm, fuzzy post! I loved reading it. I am so excited to hear more about the new man in your life. Sigh...I love happy endings.

wendy said...

this just makes me want to cry! you are such a wonderful and deserving person - i hope to have the opportunity to meet you one day (not in a creepy, stalker kind of way but in a good way!) LOL!

Anonymous said...

Awesome list.
Sounds like you have so many amazing people in your life, you are very lucky!
Happy Holidays!

Ronda's Rants said...

Oh I am so glad ...God is so good!
I need to make a list of my blessings...right now!

Aubrey said...

From this point forward, I am ONLY going to read your blog with a box of Kleenex nearby!
It's great to see all the blessings you have in your life and makes me realize that I really need to reflect on mine! Thank you Lizzy!

Susie said...

That's a good list of things to be grateful for:-)

Finding Normal said...

I love counting the blessings!

Melissa said...

We are all blessed beyond what most in this world have. Thanks for the reminder.

WheresMyAngels said...

How wonderful that all is! You've been blessed this season!

Lula! said...

You are BLESSED. Blessed, I tell you. And I love that you know it...you get it...it's not lost on you one bit.

Deanna said...

That unexpected day of pay at work.. that is a hug from God!

Anonymous said...

found you through SITS
I really love that you took the time to talk about the blessings in your life. And Amy Grant's older christmas collection if my FAVORITE christmas album EVER! I totally need to get the new one.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I love your list of blessings. Just love it. And you do realize what a blessing you are to the lives of other people, right?

And I have never seen White Christmas. But I will tivo it. Watch it. And think of you.

Lesley said...

Good lawd, what are you trying to do? See how many times you can make me get all teary eyed??

Love your post...it is really honest and thought provoking...thank you :-)

Shannon said...

YOU are a blessing, my dear!

Maria said...

Thank you for the reminder today! That was awesome about the $200 too!!! God takes care of His children. May God continue to pour out His blessings upon you.

Jenners said...

Visiting from BPOTW...

That was a great post and I'm glad you shared it. I hope it made you feel better about everything that is not so good at this time!

Alicia @ Oh2122 said...

Great list. And your boss is the best!

Came in through BPotW.