Tuesday, January 6, 2009

They Won't Let Me Part 1

Essie & Gert love bedtime stories. Like all good kids they like the same ones, over and over and over, ad naseum. Several years ago they were given the book "Thank You Mr. Falker" by Patricia Polacco. Have you read it? If not, go here and have it read to you, and then come back.

















Are you back?
Are you crying?

I have read that book probably 30 times and STILL can't get through the end of it without crying.

So Essie has banned it. No more Thank You Mr. Falker. Instead it's Little House on the Prairie books. Those don't make me cry. Pa cried... well... the TV Pa cried... alot. But I don't. When I read them.

Are there things that make you instantly tear up, no matter how many times you've heard/read/seen it??

39 comments:

K and/or K said...

The name of this book is funny in a sick sort of way.

This is so lame but I cry whenever a baseball team wins the world series. I know, I know!

Unknown said...

Little House.
I love Little House.

Happy New Year :)

Ronda's Rants said...

Great book! My children liked I will always love you! I cried everytime...I am such a dog lover!
Thanks for a great read!

Indiana Angel said...

If I sat and really thought about it, I know there are a lot of things. Most of them kind of silly, but they all tie me to a memory which makes reading/seeing/hearing them difficult..

I have one song I cannot listen to. Ever. "Seasons in the Sun", you know "We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun...." That one absolutely kills me and I just cannot listen to it. It became an "I can't take it" song when I was 10 and it's only gotten more difficult to bear with the passage of time.

Anonymous said...

Love You Forever. I have given a copy to each of my kids. I cry every time...every time, even now.

Anonymous said...

Awwww.....I'm a crier. I just am. My new tearjerker that I cry every time I see it or hear it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnfhQ5I937M

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

I always cry when i read "Love you Forver". Every. Stinkin. Time.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I never used to be a crier. Until I had children. Most recently the Publix commercial where the guy is an intern at a hospital. And he calls his mom on Christmas. Then he gets home and his entire family is in his ginormous apartment. It's so sweet. And sappy. And I don't do sappy.

So...I couldn't go and listen to your story. And I won't go see Marley and Me...

Deanna said...

For me it is "In Case You Ever Wonder" by Max Lucado. I can't ever read that book to my boys without getting choked up and tears running down my face.

Tam said...

NAH I do not cry I am jaded! Just kidding...I turn in to a weeping puddle over everything. BLOGS make me cry..esp Kori..and YOURS sometimes...with NO Tissue Warnings! Happy Tuesday!

Unknown said...

everything makes me cry these days...I wish my beans were small enough for a bed time story!

Stephanie said...

any of the Richard Paul Evans books...they get me every time

Gina said...

I *heart* that book. I read it on one of our trips to Barnes and Noble- which for us is just like the public library, only cooler. We sit and read for hours. Sometimes we even buy stuff.
I cry when i read about or watch movies where bad things happen to kids. I can't handle the thought....

Unknown said...

That's the first time that I've ever heard that book and yes, I have tears in my eyes. I'm going to buy a copy.

Whenever I hear 'River of Dreams' by Billy Joel, I tear up .... and also 'Tears In Heaven' by Eric Clapton ...

Aunt Julie said...

Awwwwwwww....I loved reading bedtime-or anytime-stories to my gals. Sometimes, though, I felt like I needed to skip a page or 2. They always caught on, though, and made me go back!

Lynda said...

I love all the Little House books.

Cry? All the time. The song, "I Can Only Imagine" gets me every time.

It's A Wonderful Life makes me cry.

There are so many more...

Mammatalk said...

Had that one in my third grade classroom when I was teaching. I worked hard to pronounce the name in a G-rated kinda way. If I remember correctly, it's based on truth, hence the unusual name. There really was a MR. Falker somewhere. VEry nice.

Tara R. said...

'The Giving Tree' by Shel Silverstein gets me every time.

Mama Wheaton said...

I'm with Tara the Giving Tree always gets me. The kids had a book I think it was called To The Moon and back, yeah that one got me too!

Mama Wheaton said...

I forgot to mention that all the Hallmark movies get me too!

Heather said...

Yep, I love Little House, too. Isabel is reading the series right now, and plays Laura Ingalls in our playhouse out back all the time.

That darn book Love You Forever makes me bawl, and the first time I ever read it was in Barnes & Noble, where I was a blubbering idiot embarassing the heck out of my kids...

Terms of Endearment was always the tearjerker movie of choice when my girlfriend and I needed a good cry in high school.

Elaine said...

You're right....I took a listen....and it left me crying. Never heard of the book before....no little ones at home now....just one college age son.... but I still love children's books. Thanks.

wendy said...

Are you kidding? I just read Candid Carrie's post and after I stopped crying, I came here. You're killing me!

I cry whenever my kids accomplish something.

KimmyJ said...

I can't really handle any more tears today, so I'll raincheck it! Maybe when I am having a stronger day.

Aubrey said...

Ok, I def wanna go over and have this read to me but I don't think the fam would appreciate me crying in their dinner. I'll wait until tonight!
I get misty eyed everytime I hear my wedding song. Gets me every time.

Quirky said...

ABSOLUTELY!
I'm pregnant... anything makes me cry!

I remember my mom reading us Boxcar Children (I was old enough to be over bedtime stories, but my younger brother was at the right age... oh, who am I kidding?! I am STILL not over bedtime stories :)

Frizzy said...

I'm an emotional wreck today and just read Candid Carrie's story of her daughter's funeral. I'll have to check this book out another day. As for things that make me cry Hymns most Sunday mornings. Something about singing in church really gets to my soul.

CaraBee said...

We're not quite to the reading books phase around here, but I am so excited to read my daughter The Giving Tree, it was a favorite for me.

Susie said...

That shoe song at Christmas and I am Proud to be an American.

Jen said...

that is a really, really cool story.
I cry whenever I watch Stepmom or The Wedding Singer.

Anonymous said...

I'm an emotional wreck today so I'll have to go back and read it tomorrow when I'm feeling a little stronger....I'll just take your word for it! :)

Jane In The Jungle said...

My oldest son is singing background on the song "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day" on the Casting Crowns Christmas CD. Oh Yeah, I cry!

Jackie said...

Ok...not a *thing*, but a person. My son. My Oldest. My first adopted child. Whenever I have a heart to heart talk with him. Which seems to be a lot..always has been. Mostly whenever he hugs me. I cry. I think it is because I waited so long, prayed so hard, wanted him so bad, that every dream still comes true when he hugs me. Still does. *sniff*

Jackie said...

Ok...not a *thing*, but a person. My son. My Oldest. My first adopted child. Whenever I have a heart to heart talk with him. Which seems to be a lot..always has been. Mostly whenever he hugs me. I cry. I think it is because I waited so long, prayed so hard, wanted him so bad, that every dream still comes true when he hugs me. Still does. *sniff*

Lula! said...

The movie "Harold and Maude," makes me bawl. Every time.

'Cause I'm sick and twisted and love and impossible love story.

Finding Normal said...

I cry so often it's just sick. I tear up talking about my kids, the good and the bad and the ugly. I was a crier before I had them, I was a bigger crier after Noah, and Addison turned me into a big old weeping mess. I nearly cried on the John Deere Mom during lunch yesterday for no reason. And country music? Kills me. It all makes me cry.

Jennifer and Sandi said...

I can't read books that make me cry!! I can't even get through a Lassie show!

HAPPY WEDNESDAY!

- Jennifer

M-A said...

OH I have not seen that book it is AWESOME


I am familiar with the author

we are quite friendly with "My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother"

I cry at everything my kids bring a box of tissue with them for the bedtime story LOL

Melisa S. said...

Are you kidding? I can watch certain movies to death and still cry at all the same scenes as if it is new to me!