Everyone has these "day" posts and I'm just to disorganized to play that game, plus sometimes I just... don't want to. And it's my blog so I don't have to if I don't. Got it?
So, I feel the need for some sort of mirth today, and so I started thinking about stories that make me laugh. And one of my all time favorites is something that happened to my dad back when he was 11 or so.
All my dad's childhood stories seem to involve a young man named Harold. In this particular story we find Harold and Henry (my dad) playing with their new Bow & Arrow sets. (You know, the arrows with the suction cups on the end?). Now these two rambunctious boys lived in the suburbs of Chicago where there weren't over abundant amounts of free-range land for things such as arrow shooting. But, Henry & Harold weren't about to let that stop them. They took to the sky, pointing their bows up and letting those arrows take flight. Up they would go, down they would come. Up they would go, down they would come. Taking turns. Henry's arrow up, Henry's arrow down. Harold's arrow up.... Harold's arrow up.... um.... Harold's arrow stuck on the roof.
The boys headed up to the attic of the home, and looking out the window could see the arrow resting on the shingles, just above the edge of the roof. Now these two boys, being the creative and industrious boys they were, decided the best option would be to tie a rope to the back of Harold's pants, and then he would crawl out the window, onto the roof, and retrieve his arrow.
In what would later be determined to be a moment of sanity for the two, they took the precaution of tying the other end of the rope to the claw-foot tub in the attic bathroom.
They tied the rope through the back belt loops on Harold pants, and he headed down the window. Slowly, carefully he worked his way down the steep slant. My dad stood at the window, letting rope out, bit by bit. Bit by bit. The pitch of the roof was a steep one. Harold was a boy but not a small one. The weight on the rope was becoming too much for Henry. Heat built up in his hands as the rope started sliding through. Heat that soon became more than Henry could bear, and his hands released the rope. Harold wasn't prepared for the sudden slack, and lost his balance, falling over the edge of the roof.
My dad has a sister who is 13 years older than he. She and her husband had come over dinner that night, and my Grandpa & her husband were sitting in the living room, enjoying a little happy hour, when all of a sudden out the picture window was a young man, screaming, hanging by his belt loops at the end of a rope.
WITH
An arrow in his hand.
The boys considered the mission successful.
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

29 comments:
That's hilarious! What a picture! How in the world did the pants hold?
Yeah, I just can't do the weekly meme thing either. I am a recovering legalist, you know, and I can't afford such indulgences that would make me a slave to a deadline. Except wordless Wednesday, which I do whenever I want to post without having to think about it. Much.
very funny!
Norman Rockwell for sure :)
Those must have been some strong belt loops!
P.S. Puh-leeeeeeze tell me what the countdown is for!
I can just picture this in "The Little Rascals" scenario. Too funny.
Loved this post! Reminded me of a story of my own father and his early teens. He was dared to hang out the 4th story window of his school while the teacher was out of the room. My father being one to never turn down a dare did just that. So as he's hanging out the window all the kids in the room start chanting, "Jump! Jump! Jump!" Keep in mind this was a school that had the dropped concrete window wells at ground level. The splat from my father wouldn't be pretty in any way shape or form. Soon they also started pounding on his hands to make him let go of the window. Luckily, the teacher returned in time and yanked him back to safety. If you consider having his butt whipped by the teacher, principal and then my grandfather when he got home "Lucky".
The story goes that the teacher or principal stopped by the house to say they were sorry for spanking him and my grandfather said something to the effect of, "He deserved it and you have my blessing to do it again any time he does something stupid like this." Can you imagine what the conversation would have been like now days?
Thanks for your walk down memory lane! Loved it!
That is hilarious! My dad tells stories like that too....sometimes I'm surprised he and his siblings are alive!
Sounds like a Leave It To Beaver or Andy Griffith episode - love it!
Too funny. And yep. Mirth is what we all need today. I am going to have to ponder some funny stories...
I totally had a visual! LOL Good stuff there!
I will NEVER tell that story to Gabe, for fear that he would try it himself.
It is good for a laugh, though!
Reminds me of little rascals or the sandlot. great story. lol
LOL...loved the story!
Thankyou for the morning giggle... no ... out right belly laugh !!!
I'm just glad that I wasn't drinking coffee at the time !!
I think the fact that his belt loops held, was a testament to the quality of the clothing way back then. :-)
Too funny!!! I love those kind of stories! I have something I do on Thursdays on my blog but sometimes I miss it. I figure, like you, it's my blog and I'll do what I want! Also...I figure once my life slows down (yea-right)I'll have time to regularly post again. You do whatever you want whenever you want to! Love ya all the same!
Oh my gosh .. that boy musta been wearing Levi's or something. If it'd been me (not that it would have, because had this happened to my brothers, I would have been on the ground yelling sense at them) my belt loops would have busted right off my pants.
Which reminds me .. have you seen the pictures of the guy who's pants got stuck on the ski lift, he got dumped off, and was left hanging barebutted and upside down in the freezing cold?
Which leads me to wonder .. what is it about guys hanging from things that makes me laugh so hard?
Boys. I think that is something mine would try. And it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
That's hysterical! I love it! I love sitting down with my mom and her brother (obviously, my uncle) and hearing them tell of their exploits as kids. I pray that my child(ren) are WAY better behaved.
That is the stuff that the "good old days" are made of!
I also cannot let my boys read this or they would definitely try to do something similar. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't tried already. They are constantly doing crazy things and when I ask what they are up to they say, "Nothing!" I promise that is the most feared word in my Mommy language.
I may have to make that one of my next blog posts!
Awesome story! I could totally imagine it while I was reading.
That is so funny! I love it. Would of been better to have seen it! lol
I actually belly laughed at this! You are killing me with your "valentine" song on here....it makes me want to cry..I am such an emotional mess lately but this story made my day!!
Funny stuff! Puts me in mind of a story I heard on the radio today. A man vacationing in Vail got his pants caught in the ski lift, and ended up hanging upside down for quite a white...with his pants around his ankles!
Very funny!
Me likey!
Toooooooo funny!!
A very funny story!! Glad the belt loops held. Must have been Sears Toughskins.
I can picture the scene. Right out of a movie! :-)
FUNNY! I seriously can picture my boys doing this too. The youngest would be the one more than willing to go out the window, the oldest would be more than willing to let him!
Okay, Now sweet Lizzy Lu, do tell what is up with all the mushy songs and the countdown......am I smellin bliss?
Post a Comment