Friday, January 30, 2009

Pfriday Pfoto Pfinish Pfiesta 1.30.09

It'z pfinally Pfriday!!!

Well, I hope you enjoyed my mockoring week. I had fun... I think I might have pissed a couple people off, which I never intended to do.



So, during this week of mirth, we passed by a date that is very special to me. My wonderful Gramma's birthday on the 28th. And this year, if she were still with us, she would be 100 years old!

Her husband, Scoop, died when my mom was 14, so obviously I never knew him. If he were still with us, however, tomorrow would be his 110th birthday!

So my picture this week is the two of them on their wedding day. She was 37 (my age) and he was 47. He had been married previously and was divorced. He had 2 sons from his first marriage - both of whom died in WWII. They were married on my great-uncle's farm (he and his wife are on the far right and far left of the picture. The whole family was there... after dinner that evening the family gathered around to sing as they always did. Scoop & Elsie had reservations at a hotel for that night, so they left around 9. But a mile down the road Scoop said that he was having so much fun with her family that he wanted to go back! So turn around they did, and joined back in the fun until 3 am!!!

So Happy Birthday Grandpa. And Happy Birthday Gramma. I miss you. I miss taking you out to dinner on your birthday and you taking forever to decide what you want to eat. I miss hearing you exclaim what beautiful wrapping paper your presents where in and it was "just a shame to mess them up!" I miss giving you a birthday balloon and finding it still floating in your house on Mother's Day. I miss eating fudge stripped cookies with you and watching M*A*S*H. I miss your sweet hugs and kisses. I miss the tic tacs in your purse. I miss your polyester blue pants. I miss your love of road trips and your need to read EVERY SINGLE SIGN you saw! I miss you arguing with your sister. I miss your dusty blue dress coat. I miss your finger pointing. I miss playing in the sandbox with you and rolling down the hill. I miss spitting watermelon seeds from the front steps. I miss the smell of your garage. I miss your handwriting. I miss you trying to hide the fact that you were still smoking. I miss the cluck of your tongue when you saw women on tv "showing too much." I miss ironing your hankies. I miss listening to the stories of you growing up. I miss Chinese checkers and aggravation. I miss bowls of ice cream with Hershey's syrup. I miss apple slices and flat sprite. I miss hearing "Bethie B"

Thank you for being the very best Grandma ever. I see you in the girls, especially Essie, but yet in Gert too. I wish you had known them both. You would have enjoyed them. They would have enjoyed you.

I love you Gram... thank you for giving me the faith to know I will see you again someday. And thank you for LOTS of bright blue skies!

23 comments:

Tam said...

That was beautiful!

O btw...you are right about what you wrote on Kats blog about the forgetting! I think we all know how that is one time or a few times in our lives. Just experienced it recently with my poor Mother. We will be here for Kat...I am going to try to get that card I have for her in the Mail...Had a hiccup this week and just kept leaving the card at home!

Again great post a great Tribute to your Grandmother!!!!

Melissa said...

I always wonder what it would have been like to know my grandfathers. Both died before I was born. I'm so thankful my children are able to have 3 sets of grandparents as well as great grandparents to know....

Great post, B.

Amy said...

Beautiful post. I am sure they are smiling down on you, and are very proud :)

Susie said...

Great picture and some great memories:-)

Unknown said...

wow that was a beautiful post/tribute! I love old photgraphs

Shannon said...

I love this Phriday Photo! I miss my grandpas, too. My dad's dad died when I was 4... I have a few memories of him. My mom's dad died 10 years ago... and it saddens me that he never got to meet my girls. He'd get a kick out of them, I know. He was always a sucker for little girls... they would've had him wrapped around their little pinkies~

Lula! said...

I love this! And I love that he was all, "Let's delay the honeymoon a while and go hang with your peeps..." What a good man! Awesome.

Michelle said...

My grandpa used to read all the signs, too! Must be an old people thing.

Great tribute!

Jennifer and Sandi said...

Wow what a wonderful photograph! Nice post!!

Have a super weekend!!!

- Jennifer

Aubrey said...

What wonderful memories to have! Even though they are not around, I'm sure your girls know how very special they were!

BTW, whomever got their panties all in a bunch needs to take a chill pill and CHILLAX.

There.

CaraBee said...

What a great tribute to your grandma! I loved reading about your memories of her. I really miss mine, too. I hope my kid(s) will have their grandparents for a good long time!

Mammatalk said...

What a sweet tribute to your grandma!

Grand Pooba said...

What a great story, and Scoop is the coolest grandpa name ever! You lucky fuzzy duck!

Alison said...

So sweet. You had a wonderful grandma.

Linda said...

I miss spitting watermelon seeds and playing chinese checkers with my grandma too. What a lovely tribute.

Deanna said...

I love that so much. It makes me miss my Mammaw... climbing her apple trees, sitting on the edge of her bed at night and letting her read her Bible to me, eating supper off the ironing board at big family suppers... oh I miss her.

Frizzy said...

Sweet post. My grandma keeps tic tacs in her purse too.

Michelle said...

Grandparents are the best!

Jen said...

How could you possibly piss people off. These posts this week were awesome. If you pissed people off then they don't know what's funny.

Anonymous said...

I love old pics!

Rhea said...

That was so sweet, Lizzy! Really nice. I loved all your memories. Hankie ironing, wow. lol

I don't want my grandmother to ever die. She lives in Baton Rouge but is planning on moving here. As soon as her house sells. I'm beyond excited.

Aunt Julie said...

Happy Birthday! And speaking of which, don't forget that you and College Girl share a Special Day on Thursday! E-mail me your address, and she'll send you a card!

Kelly said...

Great picture and a great story!!

I can't believe people got offended by your spoof!!! I loved it!