My dad & step-mom lived in North Dakota when I was younger. Her parents lived not far from where I did, in Minnesota, and so my the NoDak's would come and visit and I would hang with them at Grandma Gen's house. It was a long (10+ hour) drive from Minnesota back to NoDak. My brother was probably about 3, and they had traveled the long, flat and pretty boring road, finally pulling into the driveway about 11 pm. My sweet little, home-body brother looked at the house, sighed, and said "We FOUND it!"
Yesterday, October's bright blue weather called to me, so I grabbed the girls and we hit the Blue Ridge Parkway. Apparently the bright blue weather also called to about 30 billion other people, thus the parkway was BUSY. We decided to take a different road OFF the parkway and head around home "the long way". About 3 miles down that winding road, there was a small road with a sign that said "One lane bridge ahead" ... well, I'm all about roads with one lane bridges, so we took a left and headed on our way. The pavement quickly turned into gray gravel, and the one lane bridge was perhaps called that because it was a one lane road. But it was BEAUTIFUL - red & yellow & orange and peach(!) colored leaves, forests and streams, waterfalls and birds. We drove and drove, around curves and along stream beds... seeing a car every great once-in-a-while... we drove and drove, in the majestic chapel that is a forest in the fall. (Gert exclaimed that she finally understood why they call it "fall" as she and her sister were shouting at the leaves to fall through our open sunroof.) We drove and drove... Essie starting to get nervous that perhaps we had found the road with no end. We drove and drove... 2 hours we drove.. stopping for pictures here and there. (Gert - "Mommy! I see a photo opportunity!!!!") I had no idea where we were, but I knew at some point something would look like something I knew - or at least point me in the direction of something I knew (who NEEDS a stinkin GPS!!!). Finally the gravel turned back into pavement, and soon a yellow line divided that pavement into two lanes. Soon then a house, and another... and another... then a small development... then a cell tower. A familiar looking one. And then it dawned on me that I knew exactly where we were, and we were about a block from our church! I was quite proud of myself and shared my victory with Essie, who was riding in the seat next to me. Gert was happily looking out the window from the backseat. We headed down the road, past the church, past the Fed-Ex building, past the fair-grounds, over the interstate...
MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that was Gert screaming - and pointing at the Target sign)
MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE'RE IN NORTH CAROLINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 comments:
What a fun drive! I love getting lost and then realizing you know where you are in the end. Haven't done it in a while but it's always fun.
Once while driving on the Parkway with my 70 something year old grandma, (she was driving!), we ran out of gas. In the middle of nowhere. On the Parkway, somewhere outside of Blowing Rock. I was 18, and mortified as drivers honked their horns and blew past us. Finally a ranger stopped and gave us a gallon of gas (apparently this is a common occurrence). Oh, the memories.
Your story is MUCH better!
I love when the girls point out photo ops!! Your drive sounds gorgeous - are we going to get to see what you saw?
I can't wait to see the pictures. Now that sounds like an awesome drive and that Gert is so funny.
What a gorgeous meander down memory lane.
I remember this past year, walking through the airport in Vienna with all 5 of my kids and hearing one of the middle ones say to one of the other middle ones, "We're almost in America, there's a McDonald's."
I had to promise to drive through on the drive home from the airport so they could get thier McD's fix.
Ah, American French fries.
That sounded like a commercial! I am so glad you took lots of pictures. I hope you post some for all of us.
I love getting lost, sometimes I think I do it on purpose
If you find a Target, you know you are good to go! :D
I guess she's acclimated from the move. Yea!! ;-)
I've only done that a few times, but every single time a wonderful memory is born. I should find random roads to take adventures on more often!
Sounds like a perfect day. You seized the day, good for you.
What a fun way to spend a beautiful fall afternoon with your girls. I love the parkway, but it can get really crowded. I love that she knew she was home b/c of Target!
Aw, how cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me some love. I'm adding you to MY stalk list now!!!
I hate getting lost especially with my kids in the car. I am in awe of people who can make an adventure out of that.
That gal's ready for politics, I'd say...if she's seeing a "photo opportunity" at this age, what's next? The "Spin Room" after on Election Nite? BTW, anxiously awaiting the latest Lizzy Campaign Missive...
I can't wait to see the pictures!!
Sometimes getting lost isnt so bad!
I'd love to get lost, it sounds like you all had a great time.
Thank goodness you all found out what state you were in. Your little one's comment was priceless.
What a great ROAD TRIP!!!! OOO I love those pumpkins below also!
Getting lost is one of my worst fears when driving! When I head someplace new I always make sure I have a full tank of gas and soothing music, otherwise I will flip myself out!
Post a Comment