First off - my latest interview with The Scholastic Scribe is up. Go see pictures of my "other" wedding!!!
If you've read my blog for a while, you know that money isn't something that's growing on trees around here. In fact quite the opposite. And this month I made a major boo-boo with my rent check and there is pretty much...well... none money.
A friend asked me to go to Atlanta this weekend to have lunch and (I'm guessing) meet up with some other bloggers. I was totally excited to go, but then started calculating the cost... and... it just didn't add up okay. I realized how many times I tell The Ladies no to small toys or things like that, and even at the moment have some issues with being able to afford some necessities, so doing something "not necessary" started to look quite irresponsible.
I told Mr. B that I wasn't going to be able to go, and I know that he was figuring out a way to fund my trip. But I pointed out to him that I need to show The Ladies that even Mommies have to forgo the fun sometimes, because there have to be priorities, and there have to be times when we have to say we just can't. I'm bummed... I'm super bummed. The Ladies will be bummed. But I'm hoping the greater lesson will be learned by all of us.
SO... to those ladies whom I was supposed to meet this weekend (I'm just assuming there are others cause it was kinda hinted at) I'm really sorry I can't be there. Cross an eye or two for me!
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

24 comments:
Your interview just get better and better. One week until you get voted in :D
I am sorry...we are making choices like that as well. We had turned down a trip with a bunch of friends because money is just tight for us. I was afraid I would make them uncomfortable...I worried and worried! In the end they wanted to pay our way...cause they love us but I thought it would be better to not go...The Hubby and I spent a day hiking in a National park...it didn't cost a thing and I have a priceless memory! Times are tough but the tough ones are so much smarter than all that! You are giving your girls a great lesson ! I hope things get better!
Girl I hear you. I have been so thankful for a little break in the gas prices. I am saving up every little extra penny because I want to go home for Thanksgiving.
I am thankful everyday that my husband still has his job.
I'm with ya!! I agree with Deanna, thank goodness gas prices are letting up a tad!!
- Jennifer
You are such a good mom.
Awesome example! Yea for you.
that is a bummer but sometime you have to do what you have to do. I really need your restraint.
Life is always about choices, yours not only affects you but your girls too. Good choice, hard but good.
sometimes you have to make decisions for the best...I hear ya!
So sorry....looks like we're all having to make these choices more often lately.....look at it as more quality time with your girls. Unless they are with their dad...and then quality time to do something for you....just you...
I'm sorry you aren't able to go, but I think you made the right decision.
It's not easy or fun being the grown up, but I think you made a great decision...the decision to show your daughters that being financially responsible is okay and expected.
Grab some movies, pillows and blankets and have a sleepover on the floor with your girls (they'll never know you got up and slept on the couch). ;)
What a great example you have set. These are the little lessons that will stick with them.
We are coming to the point where we HAVE to cut some extras out of our life. I'm sad to say I have to let go of my big, 3-row SUV soon. It's just material, right?
There will be more get togethers in the future!! I'm sure the light at the end of the tunnel is coming!!
I know the feeling....money is too tight right now.
Thanks for stopping by on my SITS day - I'll be back after I finish visiting the rest of the SITStas....there's only like a 150 to go :)
That is a bummer but, it's great that you are using this as a teaching moment for your kids. That's awesome:-)
That is wonderful that you are using this as a teachable moment. Sad that you have to miss it but...
This is why I have the firm belief that sometimes friends pay for other friends, knowing that you will inevitably return the favor. And because eventually friends forget who picked up the first tab, you can never stop being friends as a sense of duty if nothing else :P
It's hard, been there, still there. I think you are setting an awesome example for the Ladies. It's a "teachable moment." You're a wonderful mom.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I had bailed on my trip to Atlanta for this weekend for similar reasons. An unexpected snowflake fell and saved the day, but I was feeling pretty down in the dumps about having to cancel. It's so hard having to make choices that hinder fun times for us, but we love those kids! It's amazing how much less selfish I became as soon as I heard that first cry in the delivery room. They change us forever.
Budgeting and being responsible are NO FUN at all. I think you made the right decision and are setting a great example for your girls. This time too shall pass. Just wait til you become the Pres next week. ;)
I feel your pain. My ex is over a month behind on child support. It kills me to constantly tell my kids "No, no, no" to buying things, even little things. I NEVER tell them it's because of him being behind, only because it would hurt them...but it's so hard not to sometimes. I'm tired of being the bad guy!
I'm so sorry you're missing your trip.
xoxo
Good things come to those who wait. Sure we make choices that limit the things we do. What's worth it is when our children learn from our example and we learn things too. Like our limits and strengths. The bummer soon passes and happy days come around the corner.
That SUX, but I know what you mean about setting an example. Have the girls call you while they are together. At least then you can be there a little.
Don't worry...after next week's election, you will be rolling in the dough with your new position.
Sometimes you have to make choices that aren't the most agreeable, but I say kudos to you for doing it!
I hate when that happens. But the way I see it, is that I still have it good compared to many others in the world. But it still sucks!
Big hugs!
Post a Comment