I have this picture hanging in my hallway, my dad took it at Disneyland when I was 6. On the back of the picture he wrote this: Dear Beth:
This picture will travel with you on life's journey my daughter, and in it I see the wish-upon-a-star that I make now for you:
"...Just A Spoonful of Sugar Helps the Medicine Go Down..." I wish for you the willingness to find the special blessing in all that happens - whether good or bad - realizing that in every person and situation good can be found and that with each ending comes the promise of a new beginning.
"...Cinderella Had No Time To Get Ready For the Ball As She Was Too Busy Helping Her Sisters..." I wish for you the discovery of the joy and contentment found in giving to others - placing them first before yourself - realizing that all we really have to give is ourselves.
"...And Tinkerbell Sprinkled Fairydust On The Children And Together They Flew Into A World Of Makebelieve" I wish for you the willingness to dream, and for the courage to live a life which will bring to reality that which you hope and believe.
"...And Beauty Kissed the Beast and Immediately He Turned into a Handsome Prince..." I wish for you the desire and the ability to enable those around you to become all they possibly can thorough your belief in them - allowing them to come way from you impressed with themselves rather than with you.
"...And With A Kiss, The Charming Prince Awoke Sleeping Beauty..." I wish for you the selfless love of a sincere man - a love which will set you free to fully attain the beauty of which you are capable.
"... And they Lived Happily Everafter..." I wish for you true happiness - found not in things, but rather in relationships.
May the cement post onto which you are holding represent the solid foundation in your life which God can provide if you will allow Him.
May the castle represent the accomplishment of those good works of which you are uniquely capable
And may you always view life through those same smiling, expectant eyes which show such happiness as you have found this day.
All My Love - Dad (Christmas 1978)

49 comments:
ummm hello, it's a little difficult to see through my tears........
that is so amazing.
cherish that ALWAYS!!
I wish I had something concrete to show how much my father loved me, altough I KNOW he did.
something dreamy and full of promise like this poetry.
lucky duck you are...indeed.
IF that isn't the best memento/gift from a father ever I don't know what is. I now see where you get your deep and poetic side.
Wow! You are lucky to have such a treasure.
Wow!! That is priceless!!
That is really lovely :)
So sweet...
and God I feel old...you were 6 in 1978!!!
Well, that's just lovely!
What a great gift! I love that your dad had his priorities in life so straight, and made sure to pass them on to you! You must have had a very loving family. :)
Thanks for the tissue warning...so sweet!
wow, I got goosebumps. That is one awesome letter. I can see why you cherish it.
Oh how lovely. What a dad!
That is awesome! What a treasure! We awarded you a Meme Award today....go check it out!
Have a great day!!!
- Jennifer
*sniff sniff*
That was so amazing. Your dad rocks, and clearly has for DECADES now!
That post was just like a big ole hug. I totally have the warm fuzzies now (and thanks for the tissue warning - 'twas needed!)
:)
Thanks for the tissue warning.
Your dad sounds like an incredible man. What a blessing to have a man like that in your life.
My dad was sentimental, but not very expressive with words. I do treasure anything I have that he had written to me, though.
Great post. (And I love the photo!)
Wow, that was truely amazing. What a great sentinment to hold onto when things get rough or when you feel the urge. Your dad sounds like an amazing person and a great father who had nothing but love, admiration, and high dreams for his daughter.
Thanks for sharing.
I think I read that three times. Wow! Wow! Wow! It makes me think about what I can for my boys like this.
Oh, wow. What an amazing gift he gave you. For him to be able to see so much in a picture. And to write it down...knowing that the words would mean more and more as you continued on your "life's journey."
Awesome!!! That is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time!!
Awww, so sweet and caring. What a wonderful dad you have :D
What wonderful hopes and wishes he had for you...how awesome to have a man care for you in that way.
You deserve each and every one of those things.
THANKS for the tissue warning. Wow. What a blessing to have a treasure like that!
POSSIBLE tissue warning, she says. Wow. Wow.
Oh, Lizzy, what a sweet, sweet letter. I love this.
Can you type in bigger font size? It's really hard to read those tiny letters when I'm WEEPING.
What a wonderful post. :)
Thanks for visiting me on my BATW day.
I can imagine about your daughters name. I sometimes forgot the J sounds like a Y :)
You should come to DK someday. It's an amazing place and I always think it is so neat to visit where you are from :)
That was wonderful.I not only wish I knew my own dad, but it makes wish that the father of my children was more expressive with the kids to let them know they are loved. Thank you for sharing.
Wow - that is POWERFUL! What a blessing to have an earthly father who spoke those words of blessing to you at an early age!
That is so amazing! made me tear up a little! How sweet is that!
That was VERY sweet!!!
oh.my.goodness! what a beautiful post and a man wrote that? my faith has been restored ;-)
Now I know why you are the woman you are. Your Dad. And your Father. Both of whom ROCK!!!!
Precious...truly...
What an amazing daddy .. Every girl deserves a father like that.
Thank you for sharing!
Awww. *sniff
What a wonderful keepsake of a father's dream for his daughter. You are truly blessed:-)
Thanks for the tissue warning. Your dad sounds like a wonderful father.
What a lovely sentiment and a beautiful post!
This is priceless Lizzy. I would give a two tissue warning though. Just wonderful.
Awwww you are so lucky! I would give anything to have had a daddy like that!!!
thanks for making me cry! This is still one of my favorite stories.
That is amazing - simply priceless!
omg!! that is beautiful!!! What a wonderful Dad...u r a lucky girl to have had a Dad like that!!
That. is. BEAUTIFUL.
*sniff*
Wow...I am speechless and in tears.
Oh my goodness.........one tissue? This calls for at least 4. So special!
Thanks for the tissue warning. I'm going to go call my dad now.
WOW! How profound!!!
Possible Tissue Warning?!?!?!
Thanks for sharing such a beautiful memory with us. I'm off to find another box of tissues now.
What a great thing to have from your dad... so sweet!
I hope Dad got all of the wishes he wished for you ~~~~~~~~
"And may you always view life through those same smiling, expectant eyes which show such happiness as you have found this day."
beautiful (sniffle) What a wonderful wish list.
Post a Comment