Thursday, September 4, 2008

Friday Foto Finish Fiesta



These are "The Ladies". The one on the left (ha ha- with the plaid shirt) is Elsie - my Grandma. On the right is Iva, one of her sisters. There were 13 brothers and sisters in all. Iva was married, but her husband died long before I was born, and they never had any children. She lived in a mobile home with green shag carpet and never weighed more than about 90 pounds. Elsie's husband died after they had been married about 16 years, when my mom, their only child, was 14.



For most of my life Elsie & Iva lived about 70 miles apart. My mom and I would often take Grandma down to Iva's house for holidays like Memorial Day or the 4th of July. And Iva & Elsie would always come up to our house for the big holidays - Easter, Thanksgiving & Christmas. When we would prepare for their arrival, we would plan a menu that their stomachs could handle, put sheets on the bed they would approve of, plan things they would like to do. After a time we began to refer to them as "The Ladies".... "I think we should have chicken because red meat upsets The Ladies' stomachs" or "What are you planning to get The Ladies for Christmas."



The Ladies fought like cats and dogs over the most TRIVIAL of stuff, but dare you not to say something to one derogatory about the other... she'd light into you and you wouldn't KNOW what hit you.



The Ladies have been gone for many years now. I miss them.



About 2 years ago I started referring to Essie and Gert as "The Ladies" and more and more it has become SO fitting. They fight like cats and dogs (tonight from their bedroom I heard Essie say to Gert "You're rude, I hate you) and yet defend each other to the death (MOMMY!!! Don't take Gert's ipod! She's sorry! She'll go to sleep!!!!)



So... today I honor the original Ladies, and wish so much they had gotten the chance to know their sequel.


Check out Carries Friday Foto Finish Fiesta for more PHUN!!!!

44 comments:

TentCamper said...

sweet post. the ladies sound like they were great!

make sure to tell many storrie to the kids...they love em.

Debbie said...

What a sweet sweet post...love it! And Thanks AGAIN!!!

Frizzy said...

Tears in my eyes after reading this post. I know the ladies both young and old would love it and how you honored them all.

Trish said...

LOVE THAT!!

Both sets of Ladies are adorable.

Nik said...

That is such a cute picture of the ladies - BOTH pairs.

I just love little old ladies. I get to see Muzzy this week and I can't be more excited!!

Indiana Angel said...

Isn't it amazing how our kids bring little pieces of people we love back to us? I can see so many ladies in The Ladies that were/are important in my life.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Awww.that is sweet. My girls would fight and then turn around and be best friends. Love it!

Nonnas News said...

What a sweet post about two lovely ladies that you admire. Thats neat that your daughters will carry on "The Ladies" tradition!

Caroline said...

This might be one of my favorites. The Original Ladies are absolutely precious and look like quite a pair and your Ladies, well, they're adorable. I love old pictures from the past. They're so priceless.

Tracy P. said...

That's just beautiful, Lizzy!

Kathi Roach said...

That is so sweet!

M-A said...

OH how beautiful!

RYC

oh believe me he is the same guy
but...well something had to give KWIM?

Susie said...

What a beautiful and fitting comparison!!

sassy stephanie said...

Oh I love it. My girls are the same way: best friends/worst enemies.

I so love little (don't want to say old here) ladies. Especially when they can crack you up with fiesty comments and jokes.

Jennifer and Sandi said...

That was lovely! Love all of your ladies!!

HAPPY FRIDAY!

- Jennifer

Lori said...

What a touching post. Sisters... wish I had one.

Unknown said...

That is the best post and I love the picture. I can almost hear them talking about recipes and people they know.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lizzy...that is the sweetest story....I LOVE it!!!

I bet The 'original' Ladies would have LOVED The 'new' Ladies and all of their stories....I know I love getting to know them....

Dawn said...

Awww i miss my little old ladies from my family too!! I do think your new little ladies are cute though!

Ronda's Rants said...

Ladies! How very sweet! Your ladies are so beautiful!

Melissa said...

That reminds me of my grandma, Mae Mae. She will pick on my about my shade of lipstick, but will open up a can on anyone else who tries to diss me......watch out! She's from Georgia. Don't mess with her.

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet! I miss my grandmas like mad...they, and most of my extended family, never knew my kids.

Great pictures!

Melisa S. said...

What a sweet post...it almost made me cry. *sigh*

Insane Mama said...

I love the ladies, they're so cute...and the sequel. Oh NO...

Jess NBP said...

you've changed your look. awesome.

Love the originals and the sequels. they remind me of my great grandma who past last summer.

Sunshine said...

Awwwwww...good story!

Sooz said...

Stopping by here via BATW...what sweet pictures and post of The Ladies and their sequel :).

KatBouska said...

I love little old ladies. That picture is so sweet...and your up and coming little old ladies are great too. Gotta love sisters!

Gina said...

Aw, that was a sweet tribute to all 4 of The Ladies.

Robin said...

How sweet! And isn't it funny how things your kids can do can remind you so much of someone else in the family?

Melissa B. said...

Love the Ladies! And you're a sweetie, too. I came over from BATW. I LOVE the idea of the Plaid Party. Lizzy for Prez!

Rebecca said...

That is so sweet. I am sure the new little ladies will love hearing about the original ladies as they grow older!

MediMonsters said...

Coming in from Candid Carrie!! That is so sweet. What a wonderful tribute. Those girls have some beautiful shoes to fill. TFS.

Simply AnonyMom said...

That is such a sweet story. Ther was a pair of sisters that were older than dirt when I was younger in our church. Since we lived a few states from our Grandparents they were our "adopted" grandmas.

I think my son and daughter will be like tat one day. They are like that (on a much smaller scale) now. Sibling love is undeniable, universal and eternal.

Anonymous said...

Your girls are just adorable and how fitting that they are the new "ladies"! My children are that way too...they fight like they hate each other but just try ot discipline one and the other comes to the rescue!

Lula! said...

Oh, Beth...I so loved this!

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Loved your post -- I have 3 yonger sister so I now all about that. Much Love

Rela Pantaleon said...

Hi Lizzy!
This post just reminded me of my mom and her sisters because of the gray hair. They don't "fight" though. I still have 3 "golden" girl aunts though and wish to see them live longer. Kinda like to see my future ladies get to know them ladies too.

Anyway, thank you for visiting my blog on Austin, TX last Wednesday. Come visit anytime (I guess summers don't bother you).

Angie's Spot said...

I absolutely LOVE this post! Such a sweet story.

Tam said...

OOO toooo sweet just toooo sweet!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Okay that was seriously so cute...and what a legend to follow! I love this post...

Heather said...

Aww, this was such a lovely, sweet remembrance. Thanks for sharing! My paternal grandmother was an Elsie too! :)

Alison said...

I just love that you call your girls the Ladies--it is such a great way to remember the original Ladies. Thanks for sharing this.

Grannalisa said...

That is so sweet!!! And your little ladies are beautiful!!!