I got my tax return back. I holed most of it away into an account for moving expenses. But I took a little bit and bought the girls (and who am I kidding, me too) a Wii. We've been bowling and golfing and playing baseball all day, and having a BLAST. I was a smart girl, I got the ex to agree to pay for half of it. HA HA. Here's a couple "Wii Faces"
Essie apparently has some sort of career as a professional boxer ahead of her. She's gone undefeated!!! Of course this morning she came into my room, complaining that her shoulder and arm hurt... hmm... I wonder why.
Now, Part 2, speaking of family.. I know a lot of people are baffled by the whole "first cousins twice removed kind of thing.... so here I am, going to explain it for you.
On the following pages you will see an illustration from my family. The first one shows Sophie & Theo - my great grandparents. Under them you see Elsie - my grandma, and Gordon - her brother. Then a line going down from each of them.
Okay, now look at the chart below - Carol and Erik are First Cousins, once Removed. See - She and Jim are first cousins and then you go down (removed) one time to get to Erik. See?
Now - Lizzy & Maddy are Second Cousins, once removed. Because Lizzy and Erik are Second Cousins, and then you go down one (removed) to Maddy. Make sense?
Now - finally - Carol & Maddy are 1st Cousins, twice removed. See how that works? 
Carol and Jim are First Cousins, and then you go down 2 steps (2 removed) to get to Maddy.

So..... make sense???? No??? Yes???? Questions?????
I gotta go rub down Essie shoulder. It hurts. Hmm... I wonder why.

33 comments:
We got a Wii recently and had the same sore shoulders the day after we got it. I seriously suck at boxing.
Thanks for the tutorial! I had absolutely no idea about the whole removed business.
I love your illustrations! Hubby is "smart like that" and just "gets" things...he explained it to me this past summer complete with drawings too...but shhh..don't tell him, I like your drawings better!! :)
My head hurts. That family stuff always seems so confusing, but I have a much better grip of it now than ever before! Thanks.
Have fun with the Wii. (Duhh...I know you will!)
Ya know what you need to do, right? Send those kiddos to medical school, so they can make a lot of money treating Wii injuries! PS: Don't forget mañana's Sx3!
Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I have gone private for a short time. It seems that my blog was HACKED. I am not sending out invites until I know exactly what to do. Just wanted to let you know that you are not being excluded from Dust Bunny Hostage :) "I'll be back!"
Thanks for the family history lesson, I always wondered about that. A few people in some families just need to be REMOVED, period! :)
Tee hee, Amy!
Is it a MN thing to get the generational stuff? My mom was always explaining that to people, and I eventually managed to pick it up--AWESOME diagram!
Gotta love that wii!!
So does the Wii come with insurance to help pay for the injuries? If the kids are injured what would it to me?
Makes me glad I don't have that much family, that's a lot of work to keep up with.
I would love to get a Wii - and a Wii fit. BUT, we have a PS2 and i refuse to have more than one gaming system in my home! LOL!
Have fun with it!
How exciting that you got a wii! The girls are so addicted to ours. Have you gotten mario kart yet? You need to...and the girls can all meet online to play each other!
That was an incredibly helpful little diagram. I finally understand the whole cousin relationship thing!
A WII yeah I hear that is a cool game but I keep thinking I have plenty of time before the Natives find out about that game. Since one is five and one is three....crossing my fingers!!!! LOL LOL LOL We do not own any video game thingys...it is also like I have yet to take the boys to Disney or any amusement park yet.....I need to think about these things!
So cool you were able to get them a Wii. I know they really apprreciate is and I know you liked getting it for them. It is also nice that your ex-husband helped pay. Way to negotiate!
Have a great weekend.
that is so cool that you guys got a Wii!!!! We love ours, I am the undefeated bowling champ.
And I am still very confused about the cousin thing.
Is this your family tree or a diagram on how to hook up the Wii?
LOL
Oh, Wii simply rocks. Best videogame system ever.
Even though I suck at most of the games. I'm fairly decent at bowling, I guess.
Have fun playing with the girls!
We are a family full of Wii freaks.
Invest in Guitar Hero!
The kids keep asking me to get a Wii. I'm not sure if I'm ready for it yet. Perhaps if I come over to your place and practice for a while?
How exciting you got a wii! And thanks for explaining the cousin thing. I always get confused.
How fun for your girls! When Mr. Blue is old enough to play the Wii, I want to get one.
And I have never understood the "removed" thing until now. Thanks for explaining it.
We love our Wii.
And thanks for the tutorial. But I still don't get it.
GOt it! Good job explaining. What other mysteries can we have you explain? Hmmmm.
Wii love our Wii!
We are playing Wii as we speak. You have to get Mario Galaxy...for YOU to play after the kids go to bed. It's so addicting!!
I get your cousin explanation, but I still have to think really hard about it.
What? who? removed from what?? lol
Oui Wii!
Essie suffered what is known as a Wiinjury. Happens to the best of us!! And hey, you know they added that wrist strap because when it first came out-minus the strap-people were breaking their tv's by throwing the wii-mote when playing.
HA HA. It's a blast.
Seriously, try Mario Kart. At least rent it...
I've asked for Dance Dance Revolution for my b-day. Can you say "DANCE OFF!" click here
http://www.logcabindreamer.org/2009/01/so-you-think-you-can-dance.html
can't click-gah. cut and paste
Been playing Wii for 2 years now. Yes, I have Wii-itis. It's true.
FUN AS HECK THO HUH!
You did a fine job on the once/twice removed relations!
HAPPY MONDAY!
- Jennifer
Yea for the Wii!! We have fun with ours - especially my little gransdon.
I love all of your graphic explanations!! :)
Love the Wii faces! We are thinking about getting one...it looks so fun!
Thanks for the tutorial. LOL I actually just recently learned about the 2nd/once-removed thing because I was doing the "We're Related" application on Facebook and I wasn't entirely sure on how to list some of my cousins (and now I've learned that they are "once removed". Nice to know!
My family LOVES the Wii!!! They are so lucky, I swear. Lexie's boyfriend was selling his Wii and he only wanted $25 for it ... so exDH bought it and after he found out how much they retail for, he gave the kid another $80 because he felt so bad that he got such a great deal. LOL I'm addicted to bowling - but I can't play tennis to save my life!!
Yay for you guys!! I'm coveting a Wii so much. I've decided since I've been snookered out of my Disney bday trip, I'm lobbying for a Wii. And a Wii Fit.
And thanks for explaining that family tree terminology. I've always wondered how that worked and was too embarrassed to ask. :-)
Post a Comment