Sunday, September 4, 2011

My Life Is Going to Change for the Awesome

BIG day today.

Today was the day we told the boys, Bert & Ernie, that their dad and I are getting married. We hadn't told them yet just because we wanted things to be pretty settled and have time when we had a lot of time to spend with them after telling.

We spent the day running here and there, including the boys first trip to IKEA. They loved it (which means I can keep them) and we just had fun. On the way home they started asking about how long we've been dating and things like that (this was before we even told them we are getting married). Ernie talked about his mom and asked me a REALLY hard question. "How did you feel when my parents got divorced?" I gulped and said, "Well, Ernie, that's a tough one." And before I could finish the sentence he said "I bet you were happy because my dad wasn't married anymore, but sad because it makes you sad when anybody gets divorced." Um... yeah... he's 9 going on 90. AMAZING!!!!

We took them out for dessert tonight and as we were sitting there, Mr. B said "Boys, we have something we want to tell you." And Ernie blurts out "You're getting married!!!?" Um... YEP. Good call!

They both were SO excited. Bert had me hold his ice cream so he could do a happy dance in his wheel chair. Ernie was also really excited, though he broke my heart when he said "Finally I'll have a mom who doesn't yell!"

All the way home they were full of questions about the wedding and living arrangements and all those good things. I shared with them that I'm not a fan of the "step" terms and prefer "bonus-mom" and "bonus-sons" and it was cute because they both lit up and said "Hey! We like that better too!!!"

As we pulled into the driveway, Ernie jumped out of the car, but Bert was waiting for his dad to lift him out. I looked back at Bert and he said "Man.. my life is going to change for the Awesome!"

The 4 of us watched the Georgia/Boise game and had so much fun, interspersed with more questions and a 'What should I call you?" from Ernie.

Then the boys headed to bed before I came home, and they both asked for me to come tuck them in. I tucked Ernie in and said "I'm so exited for you to be my bonus-son.!" And he said, "I'm so excited for you to be my bonus-mom!!!!" And when I tucked Bert in, he said again "I can't believe how much my life is going to change."

I was hoping that the boys would take the news well. Preparing myself for them NOT to, and was BLOWN away by the reaction and happiness I got!!!

WOW.

My life if going to change for the Awesome!!!

12 comments:

Michelle Kaufman said...

A wonderful reaction from the boys. Congrats!

Finding Normal said...

Okay, I'm tearing up over this whole post. I'm so glad they're excited (although not entirely surprised!) You deserve it all, and more. Cannot wait to meet your BBs (bonus boys). More Bs. hahaha

Heather said...

I'm tearing up over here, too! I am so beyond happy for you...and Ernie is right...you're life IS gonna change for the awesome!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Wish there were a "like" button. I would be pressing it:) So happy it was a good day for all of you.

Shelley said...

Okay, I haven't even met this little people and I want to smooch them both. What incredible news.

Crazy Computer Dad said...

Lizzy,
Having been a bonus parent for almost a year with two bonus sons and my own, it is an incredible adventure. We wish you all the best in your awesomeness!

I'm Jamie said...

This is so sweet, Lizzy! I love it!
I'm unbelievably excited for the journey you are ALL about to embark on... YAY!

brainella said...

It only gets more awesome from here. I'm so happy for you, Mr B and ALL of those lucky kids!

Alison said...

I love the terms "bonus sons!" SO happy for all of you.

Maria said...

How awesome is that! I am so glad things are working out.

Frizzy said...

So happy for you Lizzy! What a wonderful family you all are creating.

Mrs4444 said...

Very cool. Just don't slip and start calling each other "BM."hahaha