Tuesday, April 7, 2009

American Idol - The Early Years

Hey all! It's SNOWING... argh.

So here we are, another night, another bald cyborg in the audience? Seriously, they've put the camera on this strange bald guy who is NOT smiling. Weird.

This week is "Songs from the Week You Were Born" so we get to see baby p (WAIT - THEY SHOWED HIM AGAIN!!!!!!) pictures of the contestants AND the judges. Awwww...who doesn't love baby pictures. Aw - Ryan had buck-teeth. In honor of the theme this week, I have drawn the contestants as they were when they were babies with hints to what they wanted to be when they grew up.... and in blue... because my poor little black sharpie is dying....

So we're starting off with Danny and he's singing someones version of Stand By Me... it starts slow and then breaks into a little disco rhythm. And most of the song is missing and he repeats the lines "Stand by me, won't you stand by me" over and over and over and over and over and over. And now it's done and technically he sang it well... no pitch problems... but.. "yawn".... Randy didn't like the arrangement but liked Danny. Kara agrees... Paula says wow. Lizzy wonders if Danny spent all the life insurance money from his wife dying and bought 100 different pairs of glasses. Simon thought the beginning was good, the middle was lazy and the end was terrific. I think the judges aren't judging anymore. They have determined who they want at the end of this thing and are spouting off accordingly.

It's REALLY snowing. I MOVED AWAY FROM MINNESOTA TO GET AWAY FROM THIS!!!

And we're BACK with Kris.... *sigh*... I really wub dis boy. Except that... he thinks a carnie is an instructor. I THINK he meant OPERATOR... poor boy. Awww - when he was little he wanted to drive a Taxi. Kris is singing "All She Wants to Do Is Dance". He's playing his guitar, standing in the middle (grrrr.. they have NOT improved the backup singers)... It's kind of a jazzed up version and... I'm not wild about it... I love him, but not loving that particular choice. Kara & Paula think it was okay but not wonderful, and Simon doesn't like the song choice and neither does Randy.

BUT ARGH

I'm SO tired of audience booing. It's a sign of the times - all we will accept is huggy kissy even though you suck I'm going to tell you you're great. Because we can't tell people they need to work on something or that they didn't live up to their potential. Grrrr..

Lil is up. And really - she's so cute. Someone when she was little said "Lil is a name I can see in lights"... nice.... She's singing "What's Love Got ToDo With It" She's got a cute little black dress on, though the ruching gives her more junk in her trunk that she already has... The only place she's really flat is in her pitch (ha ha... I just cracked me up)... and she's consistently behind the beat of the music. She just can't seem to find the right song for her... or get any help making a song her own.... Paula gives her the "You look hot" kiss of death... and says she was hoping Lil would go out of the box and that didn't happen. And Simon doesn't know who she is and Randy doesn't either and Kara expects more.

Anoop is wearing another collegiate ensemble - oxford shirt, tie and green striped sweater. Ryan calls him out a bit for his snotty attitude to Kara last week and he very graciously says he over-reacted and that that's not how he wants to represent himself. Classy. So he's singing "True Colors" by Cindy Lauper. It's just him on a stool and a soft background. Something weird is happening here... I love the version he's singing... but it's not matching the background music, and I can't tell if he got thrown off or.. quite what's going on. Randy says it was a nice vocal. Kara says he controlled the song rather than it controlling him. Paula sent love and rainbows. Simon says it was good and some other stuff but they're OBVIOUSLY running behind because Ryan's starting to sound like that old Micro Machines guy.
Scott - awww - he was such a cutie!!!! HE wanted to be a train conductor. Really not bad for a blind guy... just stay on the track. OH - he's singing "The Search is Over"... I adore this song. And he's playing the guitar! Oooo.. breaking it up. And... well... yes. It's time for Scott to go home. He's a very nice person and very talented, but he just doesn't have the voice... for anything other than adult easy-listening. Kara gives him props for getting away from the piano but there were some clunker notes. Paula says... well... alot of stuff but it ends in Bravo (but not really) Simon says go back to his piano and the song was atrocious. Randy says some stuff but I wasn't listening because I was chatting with Mr. B for 2 seconds and all I got was Scott giving a little sassy answer.
Allison was born in 92. I was in college. I feel old. She's singing "I Can't Make You Love Me"... great song and a perfect choice for her and FINALLY something soft but yet able to show off her power. This could be good. But... really... whoever is dressing her needs to be LET GO NOW. She's got a waterfall hemline multi-ruffle black skirt on and leather and chains. And she sang... and... well... she definitely does the rock chick thing better than the soft thing, but it wasn't too bad. Paula says she gave it all of herself. Simon says it was very good but that she needs to be more likeable. Ouch. Randy says she can sing her face off. That sounds painful really. But I see what they're getting at - she's stilla little... stand-offish?

Man... if they get any farther behind Ryan's going to have to go to chipmunk speed.

Matt - was an angel in a play... awwww... singing Part Time Lover - He's got the Justin Timberlake fedora on... he's slowed it down and jazzed it up...and all in all it's not bad. Randy says vocally the best of the night. Kara says unbelievable. (Obviously the producers told them to step it up because the judges are doing one word responses)... Simon says better than last week.

Adam's got the diva spot... so it should be... well... interesting if nothing less.

Adam liked to play dress up when he was little.... not sports. Singing I have no idea because Ryan says it so fast. Okay... thank you Google for telling me it's "Mad World"... and if I know this song it's not in a version I remember. And there's blue lights and black nail poslish and white pants and.... as usual... my head knows it was good (Simon gave him a standing ovation which NEVER happens) but... I'm still not sold on him. I recognize the talent but that doesn't mean I have to like it, right??

Wow - cutting it down to an hour makes this a WHIRLWIND now. So who will be the bottom three? Lil, Scott & Danny? And Scott will go home.

14 comments:

Elena said...

Okay....that explains it. AND I AM TICKED!!! (Not at you.) My stupid DVR cut Adam's performance off. I can't believe I missed Simon giving a standing ovation. They must have really been behind on time b/c my DVR said it recorded the full 1 hour and 4 minutes.

M-A said...

I missed the end too
Oh well!

Hey I was married in 92 ROFL

Devri said...

I think anoop,lil and scott, but I think lil will go home, I think she needs to, she can't find herself, scott, then should be next...

Your probably right though!

I heart your stick figures! you should just write it, instead of the hour long show, it would save me time..

Shannon said...

Your drawing of Adam as The Phantom is crackin' me up!

Unknown said...

Pretty neat drawings!! :-)

I've not been watching this season's Idol ... shame on me. However, your updates are keeping me aprised of the action, so all is not lost. :-) Many thanks !!

Heather said...

I was DYING at Adam's little video package tonight. That Phantom outfit? And the drawn-on mustache? HEEEEEEE!

As always, I totally loved Adam. You know I love Adam!! :D

I agree - the further hair makeover (color and cut) on Scott wasn't enough to save him. He's my vote in my pool for who is going home this week......

Ashley said...

I think maybe Lil, Scott, and Matt. Matt did good but I just don't like his personality. He seems to think very highly of himself. I LOVED Adam! So glad his hair isn't gelled back again!

Amy said...

Ok, I sooo love Adam. His voice is just so beautiful. Plus, my girls love him to death too, and dialed and voted for an hour after the show ended.

Lynda said...

OMG... I feel so OLD... most of those songs seem like YESTERDAY to me!

Swirl Girl said...

I wonder if the people who lost the final Adam with the show running over and who didn't get to see his amazing performance and who complained wildly --- and I don't blame them one bit ---I wonder if that will effect the voting?

I feel badly for Chris - because his sings really well and picked a crappy song.

and Scott? His one -note throaty warble gets on my nerves. It's time to judge him for his singing ability not his disability...sorry dude - it's your time to go.

Two (wo)man race - Adam and Allison (I can't believe she is 16!)

Grand Pooba said...

Oh my god miss hot tub! I love those little drawings! I still can't decide who my favorite is this year. Nobody really jumps out at me ya know?

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

The bald guy in the audience is "the observer" from Fringe. I thought it was odd that they put the camera on him...and then didn't explain. But...I was thrilled that Fringe was back...it had been gone since Idol was at two hours. BUT...because Idol ran long...and I paused Fringe to put kiddos to bed...I missed the end of Fringe. Crap-ola.

I wonder if Lil will finally be at the bottom. I don't see her as an artist at all. And her mimicing Tina's moves...it was all just bad. But yes...Scott needs to stop coasting and head home.

natalie said...

Oooh, I completely agree on Scott. Time to go home, buddy. Nice guy, but just not doing it for me.

zelzee said...

Gotta admit Tuesday night wasn't my favorite. The songs seemed so looooong and depressing.

I loved Adams song, but, again, I was alomost suicidal after hearing it.

Me be thinking its Scott heading out...........