Tuesday, November 25, 2008

You Get More With Honey

I was stuck for a blog topic today... but then today has had a bit of a recurring theme, and I thought as we go into the stressful holiday season, I'd just share.

As you know I'm headed to Atlanta tomorrow to hang with Kat & her peeps for Thanksgiving (oh, and I'll get to see Mr. B too). Tonight I have to drive to Tennessee to drop the girls off with their dad. The "oil change" light on my car came on about a week ago, so i decided it would be in my best interest to take it in at lunch today and get the oil changed before I do all this driving.

Now, there are about a GAZILLION places to get your oil changed, quickly, and I had about 5 coupons from 5 different places. But none of them even registered with me. I knew where I was going. To the Jiffy Lube across town. Why across town Lizzy? Why not at the seven different places within a mile of your work.

Because last spring I was heading down to Atlanta for the weekend, and I just wanted someone to check the tires and make sure everything looked good before I headed out. I had used that Jiffy Lube when I first came to town, because I had a coupon, and they were very nice, so I thought I'd run over there and see if they could just check stuff out quickly.

I drove up and explained what I wanted, and the guy said that was no problem. They checked this, put air in that, topped off the liquids, vacuumed. When they were done I asked the guy how much I owed him.

"Nothing" he said. "On the House"

That, my friends, is why I go across town.

I go to Chick-fil-a more than any other restaurant. Because the people there are NICE.

People come into where I work, more than a little stressed out (I work for stock brokers so you can imagine their clients are a little upset) and I go out of my way to be nice. Funny how quickly they thaw out. How quickly they start to smile and we can share a laugh about something.

You Get More With Honey people... remember that when you're out shopping. Remember that the poor little clerk behind the counter probably has a week of training and 10 hours already put in today. Remember that the person who cut you off in the parking lot while they were on their cell phone may have just gotten the news that their mom has cancer. Remember that even if someone else gives you vinegar... just give honey back. YOU'LL feel better.

Smile at people as you shop.

Give UP the choice parking place.

Give a tip to the gift wrap lady.

Buy a present for Toys-for-Tots

You Get More With Honey

41 comments:

Shannon said...

'Tis true, 'tis true!

Have a safe trip tonight and tomorrow... give Kat a hug from me! And have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

xoxo

Kori said...

And this my friend is why. This... right here. This is why I love you and adore you and I am so glad to be able to call you my friend.

This.

Unknown said...

So true! I worked retail during the Christmas season and you hit the nail on the head! Thank you for being you!

Tracy P. said...

I always say, You never know what makes people act the way they do. Great job, Lizzy!

Becky said...

My husband had to come up with a name for our franchise when we finally had enough to buy one store. The name of our companey is Golden Rule Pizza, because that is how we want to do business and that is how we want to live our life!!

Good post:)

Robin said...

Words of wisdom and truth from Lizzie!! I have to remind myself of that when I'm out sometimes. Now, I need to slap my hand for the rude words I said about my waitress over the weekend. The words were about her to my husband, not her!! :)

Have a great trip and enjoy yourself!

Ashley said...

So true..... thanks for the reminder. :)

Mammatalk said...

Such warm, fuzzy thoughts. You are right. Thanks for always spreading the honey as you comment on my blog! :->

Heather said...

This is my favorite post of yours, seriously.

Sometimes people act like it costs money to be nice. I can't understand it.

There's gonna be some sticky people around me this holiday season with all the honey I'm gonna be spreading around :)

Gramma 2 Many said...

Such a good post. Everything you said was so spot on. Thanks for the reminder and have a safe, fun, happy Thanksgiving.

Gina said...

Good advice. And I'm not a smart alec- all the time.

Ronda's Rants said...

I agree...I don't know why most people don't see this!
It's so easy I guess to take it out on each other but to be kind to each other ...is better for you and the other person!

Ronda's Rants said...

If you sent me your addreess for your pay-it -froward win...I am sorry I lost it!!!
Please send your address ...so I can send you your gift!

Anonymous said...

Yup! Decency goes a long way w/ me too!

Anonymous said...

PS-I do this one for my own personal entertainment-next time you go into a store and there's a "greeter" (person hired to say hi to people as they come into the store) stop, look at the person, and say HI and HOW ARE YOU? and actually wait for their response....they will be so shocked bc everyone else just brushes right by!

Kathi Roach said...

Love this!! So true Lizzy. Thx for the reminder. Have an awesome visit with Kat & Mr. B!!

Jen said...

I know this and use it all the time. If I am especially annoyed, I lay it on thick (your know kill 'em with kindness). Does that make me a bad person. Most of the time I meant it, really do.

Wep said...

If I wouldn't need an oil change by the time I got down there I would SO be at the Jiffy Lube!

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! If people would just make eye contact and SMILE life would be so much better. Not everyone is a theiving rapist out to get you...loosen up!

Tam said...

YOU get LOTS of esp with Savannah BEE COMPANY Tupleo HONEY....OK so I had to throw that in since I worship Tupelo Honey!

NOW seriously all joking aside...GREAT POST and just in time for the CRAZINESS of Black Friday and HOLIDAY Travel!!!

Have a safe and ESP FUN TRIP!

Tara R. said...

The perfect reminder for this week! Have a safe trip and enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Rhea said...

Boy do I agree with this!! I definitely prefer going places where the people are nice and go out of their way to be nice.

Great post!

Amy said...

Amen sister!

Jane In The Jungle said...

Amen, Amen, Amen!!! I also go out of my way to people who are nice and I tell them I appreciate how nice they are. When we go out Friday after Thanksgiving, nothing annoys me and my BFF more then rude people!! Why do you think there won't be a line people??? Can't you tell the little lady at the register is having a worse day then you are??? Arhhhhhhh
So thank you, thank you, thank you for saying it for me!!
Have an Awesome Thanksgiving and give Atlanta a kiss for me!!!!

Caroline said...

Ne'er a truer word spoken. A little perspective never hurt anyone headed into holiday shopping season.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Susie said...

What a healthy outlook:-)

Have a really Happy Thanksgiving:-)

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

This is SO true, and great words to live by.

WheresMyAngels said...

Lets see, I am 4 thousand miles OVER the point of the oil change. I really need to get one.

Have a great holiday!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I think that I need to get the oil changed. But I have no idea where the nice places are because that is Michael's job. I don't want to know :-)

But I truly believe in what you are preachin' - it takes so little effort to smile. And be kind.

Trish said...

You, my friend are so correct. And that is why I call you my friend.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Do me a favor and hug Mr. B and Kat from me!!

Jen said...

I love honey. It spreads slowly but it's worth it.

KimmyJ said...

Great message, honey!! Traveling mercies, SITSta, looking forward to hearing all about it. Kiss Mr.B for us, a lot!! haha!

Outnumbered2to1 said...

SNAPS. No truer post ever writing. No need to take out your frustrations on the next person. Have a great holiday weekend and a safe trip.

Jennifer P. said...

Love, love, love this!!! I am a much happier person always giving others the benefit of the doubt....and potential free stuff is always a perk of a happy attitude :) .

Thanks for the great thought pre-Thanksgiving!

Aubrey said...

AMEN!
You said it all!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lizzy! For some silly reason this post made me cry. This was the one thing that I kept thinking of when we were in the hospital with my mom on Monday. Everyone was so nice. Not one person was unkind in anyway. Even the person who pushed my Mommy into the OR was kind...I'll never forget her putting her hand on mine and saying, "Be strong". This woman was probably all of 21 years old, if that. Their niceness and kindness made the situation that much more bearable. I little kindness goes such a long way, doesn't it? Hubby alway says, it doesn't take me any more breath to be kind then it does to be mean and it gets me so much further when I am nice....

Anonymous said...

What a great post and thanks for the reminder!!!!
I'm still going to write a nasty letter to JCPenney(thats for another post)....but I will be nice to everyone else!!! :)

Mamalang said...

I try to remember this every day, but it isn'talways easy. THanks!

Melisa S. said...

So true!!

j said...

Gosh I totally agree about Chic Filet. They really are a positive place!

Ronnica said...

Totally with you. Though I think part of the reason why I favor Chick-fil-a is because they have Diet Dr. Pepper. But the last time I was there (I was with a friend with two small children), they brought our food out to the table when it was done, and went back to get us sauce and napkins. Crazy. I also drive a bit to go to the Jiffy Lube there (there's probably a couple closer), because I'm not willing to take my chances.