I didn't really like high school. I had my small circle of friends who I adored, but in general the importance put on looks and clothes and what you had... ick. Judgments Judgments everywhere. I looked forward to being an adult. To when people would understand that if we all thought the same... if we all looked the same... if we all wanted the same things, the world would be SO boring. The beauty of our world is that there ARE people who want to have 19 kids, and there are people who WANT to focus solely on the career that is their passion in life. The beauty of our world is that there are people who feel that their lives are made whole by worshiping a Savior, and those who feel their lives are be made whole by worshiping a football team. Differences... differences everywhere.
It's an old comparison, but it's true. Imagine a quilt made of all the same material. It would keep you warm at night, but looking at it wouldn't make you gaze at it's beauty. Now... imagine a quilt made of hundreds of colors and patterns and textures... intricately sewn together in a pattern that rivals the greatest works of Da Vinci or Picasso. It too keeps you warm, but brings beauty into your life. Which would you choose?
I blog. I read blogs. I tweet. I facebook. And I'm getting close to stopping all of them. I'm so tired of nastiness and narrow-mindedness and judgment and cattiness. I'm so tired of little comments made that seem to indicate that if someone isn't EXACTLY like you, then they are "weird" or "dumb" or "insert cool derogatory term of the day." Really? REALLY? We're in our 30's and 40's and 50's and we're STILL doing this?
What would we think if it was our kids? What would we say to them if we found out they were being mean to someone on the playground just because that person were "different"? I know I wouldn't stand for it. Why is it ok to do as a grown up? Aren't we to be setting an example?
Please. Remember. That funny user name on Twitter... that clever blog Title... those are public faces of REAL people. People who have hearts and feelings and who have people who love them and think they hung the moon.
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

20 comments:
Oh dear....that doesn't sound good. But it's just so true....I think we never really grow up. The snobs in highschool are still snobs when they're 30. Such a bummer.
AMEN!
Ya know... everytime I drop off the face of the blog-reading earth, I wind up back on it, reading you, and wondering HOW and WHY I ever stopped?!?!
Wonderful thoughts Ms. Lizzy, simply wonderful ;)
Oh Lizzy, wonderfully said! I LOVE what you said about it being great that there are people who want 19 kids and people who want to focus on their careers ... I get so uncomfortable when people criticise either camp. I HATE it.
For the record, I will probably end up with 3 or 4 kids. Some will say I stopped too soon, others will say I had too many. And all of them can get on a boat and sail to the US so my friend Lizzy can smack them on the head for being so judgmental.
Please don't stop blogging. The world needs people out there saying what you've just said.
Don't stop Lizzy, we love you and would miss you terribly if you were to leave us.
I look forward to every Mr. B. episode, was so sorry that you did not blog AI and love watching the "Girls" grow up. I even anticipate watching the remodel. Keep it coming girl, you are a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day:)
Wow, that was amazing! It's gonna be hard to paste that into my status. Where's the like button?
It's called the "Golden" rule for a reason.
Some people think their right to air their own opinion trumps respecting the opinions of others and that they have the entitlement and license to say whatever they want, whenever they want, at the expense of anyone else's feelings. Sigh.
((hugs))
Now you know why I do not attend high school reunions. :-)
I hate mean people. Why can't we all just be nice?
I can't believe you posted this...I've been mulling over a blog post about fb but haven't written it yet!! Maybe I'll actually write it now. LOL! I AM NOT IN HIGH SCHOOL ANYMORE...I don't expect those around me to act like it! *sigh*
ps - please don't stop blogging!! :)
Exactly! I feel the same way and I have a child in Jr. High, I'm too old for drama!
If you stop blogging who will post these amazing common sense wonderful posts like this? Every word of it is so true.
P.S. I hated jr. high and high school too.
I've been feeling very much the same lately. I've been very disillusioned with blogland. Many of the people I thought were good and nice have shown themselves to be mean girls in sheep's clothing. I'm betting they were mean girls in high school, too.
My response? Spending a little more time in the real world and letting the bloggy world spin without me. I'm still around. I still visit my favorite peeps when I can, but I'm just not feeling it like I used to. Too bad.
I was on FB for a while, but I didn't much care for the high school feel I got there.
I like blogging for the friends I've made and the memories I've recorded for my kids; I could care less how many comments or followers I have. I write a post and if someone is offended, oh well.
Please don't stop blogging...I would miss you so much!
that was amazing!
Contextual Ad Network India
Sorry you feel dissed out here in cyber world.
Well said.
I totally agree! I try to keep my Facebook posts and my blog positive and I don't use them as outlets to complain or to hurt others. I love your posts so don't stop them! Just quietly delete those who are bringing you down!
I think it's because people think since it's the internet they can be just as catty and sometimes even more so. It's sad and pathetic. I think someone said to quietly delete...I agree. I have accepted friends and then deleted when their statuses became too vulgar, etc.
OH Lizzy great post. I love the part about 19 kids...I personally for some reason am amazed by someone with that many kids. You are so true but WE NEED YOU IN BLOGLAND....DON'T STOP...don't let the nasty people WIN!
Take care my friend! I hope things are going well for you and HEY how is your House situation? Thinking about you and that. Iknow that must be stressfull!
Mean people suck.
Someone should put that on a bumper sticker or something...
Fortunately, I've never come upon stuff like this personally in blogging, though I do know of one person who is quite hateful. Still, very positive experiences are the general rule over at my place. I think you should transfer "schools." haha
Post a Comment