32 years ago this Christmas my Dad introduced me to a lovely lady named Julie. At the time she was a "friend" of his from grad school. 4 days later he moved out of our house to move in with her. 6 months later my parents divorce was finalized. 7 days later he & Julie got married in South Dakota... because back then in Minnesota you had to wait 6 weeks after a divorce to get married, and they didn't want to wait.
Not the most auspicious of beginnings hunh?
Julie was different from my mom. She had traveled and taught school in Europe. She had a bit of a hippie vein to her. She was IKEA long before IKEA ever hit the states. She was a kindergarten teacher... I was in kindergarten. So we had that going for us.
I liked her. What wasn't to like? I went to be with them for 6 weeks in the summer - they were both teachers so it was party time/vacation the whole time. She really did a good job as a step-mom... didn't push... didn't try to be my MOM, but didn't let me get away with a whole lot (not that I tried a whole lot... I was a good kid).
Then she got pregnant and had my brother... followed 15 months later by my sister. I thought maybe I'd be pushed aside.. unnecessary. Nope... Julie let me help her and be a big sister. She encouraged me and loved me. When people asked her how many kids she had, she always said 3. That meant more to me than she will ever know.
She once made a whole wardrobe of clothing for my Barbies. She let us make graham cracker houses every Christmas. She makes my girls Halloween costumes every year.
As a teen, as I learned more about how she came into my life and what happened to my parents, I went through a period of resenting her. I saw HER as the reason they split up. I wrote her a long letter asking how she could get involved with a married man. More importantly with a man who was a Daddy. She wrote me back... a very long letter... never making excuses or shifting blame, but apologizing and explaining.
As I got older I started to understand that the split was NOT her fault. She was a symptom. My mom & dad messed up their marriage... both of them.
Looking back... my parents weren't right for each other. Julie is right for my dad. She's what he needs. They are wonderful parents, fabulous grandparents and so totally in love with each other still to this day.
People look at pictures and point at her and ask who she is. To make it easy, I tell them she's my step-mom. But she's not... she's my Julie. Hank is my dad, Carol is my mom, and Julie is my julie.
I love the relationship I have with her now. There isn't the pressure that there is on my relationship with my mom. Julie is a listening ear and a kind voice. And over the past couple years, I have started to truly understand how a marriage can fall apart. And how you can find the love you didn't know you were looking for. And I've seen her with different eyes... understanding eyes.
There's a distinct possibility that in the next year or so I may end up being someones step-mom. I'm COMPLETELY grateful to Julie for the example she's been to me over the years. I hope that I can do half the job as a step-mom as she has done. I hope that my step-kids (which I WON'T call them) will see me as their Lizzy... not their "step-mom".
So... Happy Birthday Julie. Thank you for the wonderful example of being a step-mom, wife, friend and daughter of God that you are. Thank you for being my Julie.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




46 comments:
I have a Jeannie. She came into my life when I was in college. She was never my "step-mom". She is my dad's wife. And my dad would never have survived this long without her. And if he had, it would have been incredibly stressful for all of us. But best of all, she has just been Jeannie, and never tried to be a mom. I'm grateful, too. Great post. Life is messy.
Happy Birthday, Julie!
Great story. I too come from divorced parents and my Step-Father became my father. I am so blessed to have had him in my life!! GREAT POST!!
- Jennifer
I think that is so sweet! How wonderful to see everything clearly...if we wait long enough God usually does make it clear to us! I loved this post...Happy Birthday to Julie!
"Julie is my Julie..."
Lizzy, that is precious!
You are blessed, but more than that, she is blessed to have YOU and your girls in her life.
What a wonderful, heartfelt post! You are both amazing women!
Happy Birthday to Julie!
That was an amazing story. Wow. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us.
Happy Birthday Lizzy's Julie!
Happy Birthday to Julie! She sounds like a truly remarkable woman :-)
You didn't give a tissue warning and for some reason that made me cry.
I have a Joseph. Took me as his daugher when I was about 5 and never looked back! Never called me his stepdaughter and always treated me good. I am thankful for him in ways he doesn't even know! Thanks for sharing your story and I know you will be a wonderful stepmom because you care!
Very nice tribute to your Julie. Thanks for commenting on my post today. I hope it was sensitive to both sides and not judgemental in anyway.
What a great tribute. I hope she reads this and knows how much you care. You will be a great Lizzy, no worries.
Hm, that's a sweet tribute.
Aw, what a wonderful birthday tribute! Happy birthday to your Julie! :)
That was just beautiful. Being a step-mom myself, I strive to be what you have described. She sounds like a wonderful lady. Happy Birthday to Julie! ;)
Now THAT is a sweet, sweet post.
Our situations are very similar and to this day I triple love my step mom. She's the best.
Thanks for stopping by my blog--and yes. Us Minnesotans are so EASY to pick out of a crowd. Mostly because people think of the movie "Fargo."
Go figure. : )
Wow, I'm honored to share a birthday with someone so special.
Thank you so much for my sweet poem. I am blessed to have so many great bloggy friends!
Happy Birthday, Julie!
Lizzy, I'm crying just a little. That was so sweet.
I'm sure that made you really respect your dad. What a good example he set for you in what to do when your married.
Very sweet. Happy birthday to your Julie! :)
Hey Anonymous - did my Dad do the right thing? No. But I DO respect him for what his life has become and the man/husband/father/grandfather he is now. And he & Julie's 32 year marriage is a GREAT example of what to do when you're married.
BEAUTIFUL post! I knew you had a special relationship. {hug}
You'll be a wonderful "Lizzie" to any child you have the chance to parent.
I've never had a step-parent, but if I did, I would want Julie.
My friend calls her step-mom, her "Bonus Mom."
What a wonderful post. It's so nice to hear about a woman who really took her new husband's child into her heart and that you are so close now.
Beautiful post. Amazing lesson you learned about life, love, and everything. Happy Birthday, Julie!
What a great heart felt post.
Lizzy, that is a beautiful post!!! That is so wonderful...
BTW..I think you will make a great "Lizzy" for Mr. B's kids.....
I am bawling my eyes out. What a beautiful post, Lizzie. I'm so glad you have such a sweet Julie.
What a sweet and sensitive post! Hope Julie has your blog address, so she can read this tribute. And, Happy Birthday, Julie!
That was such a sweet post!! SNIFF!
that is the best way to describe and 'step mom' and she seems like everything a 'step mom' should be.
You have the sweetest posts! So sweet that they make me teary. And then on the other end of the spectrum, you have such crack comments for everyone that you make me tear up for a totally different reason! Very cool that you have a bonus mom!
That was awesome. I'm so glad the step-mom relationship can be like that sometimes. I'm also glad that she and your dad are still married. It's great you had those experiences so you have a good example to follow. Happy Birthday Julie.
THAT is a step-parent story that I've always wanted to hear. So refreshing and lovely. Way to go Julie! And Happy Bday.
What a wonderful story. Happy Birthday to Your Julie!
Very nice post!
What a beautiful tribute to what had to be a strained relationship:-) Good for you and Happy Birthday to your Julie:-)
Wow, what a beautiful tribute.
I love to hear great step-parent stories! I am glad that you have a fantastic role model.
This is beautiful Lizzy.
I hope Julie reads this.
I have a Julie-- except she is not my stepmom, and I have not known her since childhood-- but she is my mother-in-law (another less-than-friendly title).
You will be a great Lizzy :)
What a great post. The funny thing is that we always tease my husband's youngest daughter (age 21) because she always introduces me as "my Jean". She doesn't want to say stepmother, but mother doesn't seem right to her, either (her mother passed away).
Your Julie sounds like a wonderful person.
what a sweet post!
My mom and adoptive dad married in the late 60's. He immediately had us kids' last name changed to his after asking our permission.
He will ALWAYS be "my dad" just like all of us were "his kids"
I'm so glad you have your Julie :)
That is so sweet! Happy birthday Julie, you sound like a wonderful person.
Lizzy, go digging for the 80's pics!
That is so sweet! I wish all step parents could be so accepting and loving to the children! You are a lucky lady!!
Girl, you write the sweetest things about your family. You are a blessing to them as much as they are to you!
What?! No tissue warning? Dang, Betchie. I need to be prepared! *sniff* Such a wonderful post.
Great...no tissue warning and now I am bawling all over my keyboard and I am not even kidding. She sound like an awesome "mom" and you are going to be an awesome mom to "Mr. B.'s" kids too...
Wow, love this one. Julie is your Julie. Awesome. :)
Post a Comment